Tamiya gloss

Tamiya gloss

August 9th, 2012, 2:56 am #1

Can I spray it or must it be mixed with a color? I don't want it to frost and I'm not sure which way to go.

Owen

August 9th, 2012, 3:14 am #2

I always thought that their flat and gloss were suppose to be mixed with their paints?

August 9th, 2012, 3:43 am #3

Can I spray it or must it be mixed with a color? I don't want it to frost and I'm not sure which way to go.

Owen
Well whatever happens it's not going to frost. What's it's number? I don't use Tamiya gloss but I know there's one that's just a gloss coat. The frosting is caused by the flattening agent in the flat base.

August 9th, 2012, 4:14 am #4

Owen
Hey Owen
If its spray can be carefull
I sprayed Tamiya Gloss Aluminum
And then used Tamiya Gloss clear
And it ran the paint I am still
Trying to figure out how to save
The paint job oh and I misted
It and it still ran Cheers Brad
In Tucson

August 9th, 2012, 5:14 am #5

Owen
If you are talking about their clear gloss, it's fine with their thinner. I use it as my clear coat for decals. I thin it almost 50/50 with their thinner.

HTH

Brad

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

August 9th, 2012, 11:50 am #6

Owen
But I don't thin as I'm not sure of the effect of alcohol or extra thinner on decals.

Unlike the flat, which must be mixed with a paint, it is a very nice finish also.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

August 9th, 2012, 2:12 pm #7

Owen
Hi Owen! If you have the chance, pick the instructions of Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R89C. They advise the use of the Tamiya clear coat as a top coat .... but they also warn you that the coat may etch the decals.

Well ... decals etching may occur with almost all varnishes. I personally prefer to use as a gloss coat ... a Future coat

If this is still not glossy enough, one full week after this Future coat, use composite gloss varnishes like these:

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=48_76

With these varnishes you're going to see your own face reflected in your model

A very easy alternative is the new Kote range from Alclad. I tested them,and I was highly satisfied, as they provide a gloss quite in scale with the requirements of scale aircraft modeling. Furthermore they are brilliantly simple to use:

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/advanced ... te&x=0&y=0

HTH!
Nuno

EDIT: I had a typo in the tittle.

Last edited by amaronap on August 9th, 2012, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2012, 2:42 pm #8

...since he mentions mixing it with other colors.  Hard to mix spray cans (not for me, though, I decant!)

Tamiya Clear X-22.  I'd say it's a lot like Future, but dries slower and softer and you can't dip canopies in it.  But doesn't seem to suffer from blushing and clouding from decal solvents and water drops the way Future does either. 

Lots of folks (myself included) mix some into their flat paints to make them go on with a bit of a satin shine and eliminate the chalkiness that Tamiya flats can sometimes exhibit.  Also makes them more durable to wear from handling as well. 

August 9th, 2012, 5:52 pm #9

I always thought that their flat and gloss were suppose to be mixed with their paints?
You can spray clear gloss on the model. Flat Base is an additive you put in gloss paints to make it flat