Tamiya 1/12 RC166 photo etch chain.

Tamiya 1/12 RC166 photo etch chain.

July 11th, 2010, 7:54 pm #1

This is the photo etch chain set for the kit. The jig is brilliant and simple to use.

[/IMG]

Tom

July 12th, 2010, 8:00 pm #2

It is a beautiful chain, it's also a lot of money. I think I can have a lot of fun with my RC 166 without the expense but I'm really looking forward to seeing your build!

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus

July 13th, 2010, 12:44 am #3

....I saw them on sale at Hobby Link Japan at 30% off. They are still on sale with the exception of the wheel set.

Tom

July 13th, 2010, 5:38 am #4

I bought a couple from them at retail. Oh well, win some....

Top Studio also released a few 'working' pe chain sets for Tamiya modern MotoGP kits a yr or so ago. If I recall, the TS ones were more exp than the Tamiyas. $45-50 US? Sim assembly methods. Both produce a fine scale m/c chain.

I assembled one of the Tamiya chains just to keep as a converstion piece/keepsake it's so nice. The other will go on the model. Great kit. Industrial photoetchers I deal w/ in the arch model biz are amazed w/ the assembled chain too. I plan on making one for my main pe guy for X-mas.

Hobby Design makes a pe detail set to build up the cylinder fins! Pretty cool.

Btw, the 166's tires! WAY too pointy right? Were these for a land speed record run? I've checked all my refs and the www and contemp pics show round cross section tires at the many races. The ones in the Honda museum also show round section tires. Where did Tamiya come up w/ those odd pointy crowned tires? Rounding them off on a lathe will destroy the tread detail.

Last edited by bookmark460 on July 13th, 2010, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.