Talking of Grumman Panthers- most amazing photograph

Talking of Grumman Panthers- most amazing photograph

April 16th, 2018, 8:32 pm #1

-for many reasons. (purely coincidental there was a related post earlier today.)

I managed to find just this one image on the web. It may be better resolution if you can find it, as the original when viewed could be greatly expanded to reveal pin sharp detail.

Firstly- for the modeller, a perfect (as ever you will get,) plan view image.

Secondly one can look at the patinas/details/colours etc to one's heart's content.

Thirdly, for base builders, the colours and deck weathering- one could not ask for more.

Lastly, for diorama builders, the barrier is arrestor net is revealed in all it's complexity.

Just had to share this one.

Last edited by RacerRich500 on April 16th, 2018, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm #2

Missing panels on the spine?

(I know squat about F9F's.)

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

April 16th, 2018, 8:46 pm #3

-for many reasons. (purely coincidental there was a related post earlier today.)

I managed to find just this one image on the web. It may be better resolution if you can find it, as the original when viewed could be greatly expanded to reveal pin sharp detail.

Secondly one can look at the patinas/details/colours etc to one's heart's content.

Thirdly, for base builders, the colours and deck weathering- one could not ask for more.

Lastly, for diorama builders, the barrier is arrestor net is revealed in all it's complexity.

Are you sure it's not a model? Wondering how they'd get this view unless from a helo maybe?

John

April 16th, 2018, 8:47 pm #4

Missing panels on the spine?

(I know squat about F9F's.)

John
That is a fantastic photo, but where on a carrier does one get a perfect overhead angle like that!?

I'm coming down on the side of model, as I also doubt the US Navy would let the deck look that bad and "gappy" for landing aircraft, and...well...it's a model. Rather brilliant work, however.
Last edited by el-rancho-decomposo on April 16th, 2018, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2018, 8:57 pm #5

For too many reasons to list, this is not real. Nice looking model though.

April 16th, 2018, 9:10 pm #6

Go on the, list...

April 16th, 2018, 9:23 pm #7

Gotta be a model.

John

109's are red
Spitfires are blue
My kits aren't so old
It's yours that are new.

190's are black
Zeroes are yellow
It's good to be back
Among ye good fellow!

April 16th, 2018, 9:32 pm #8

. . . and while well done, I don't think this type of barrier was used back then. Perhaps Tommy Thomason can straighten us out on that?

April 16th, 2018, 9:34 pm #9

That is a fantastic photo, but where on a carrier does one get a perfect overhead angle like that!?

I'm coming down on the side of model, as I also doubt the US Navy would let the deck look that bad and "gappy" for landing aircraft, and...well...it's a model. Rather brilliant work, however.
I agree it's very nice. n/t

April 16th, 2018, 9:59 pm #10

It's a model, no ZCY on blow in door edges. N/T