Looks to me like...

April 16th, 2018, 10:23 pm #11

-for many reasons. (purely coincidental there was a related post earlier today.)

I managed to find just this one image on the web. It may be better resolution if you can find it, as the original when viewed could be greatly expanded to reveal pin sharp detail.

Firstly- for the modeller, a perfect (as ever you will get,) plan view image.

Secondly one can look at the patinas/details/colours etc to one's heart's content.

Thirdly, for base builders, the colours and deck weathering- one could not ask for more.

Lastly, for diorama builders, the barrier is arrestor net is revealed in all it's complexity.

Just had to share this one.

a screenshot from a flight simulator game rather than either a model or real aircraft.

Not missing panels...

April 16th, 2018, 11:38 pm #12

Missing panels on the spine?

(I know squat about F9F's.)

John
Those are auxiliary blown in doors for the engines. Allow more air during ground ops.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

Model, flight sim pic, real or not...

April 16th, 2018, 11:40 pm #13

-for many reasons. (purely coincidental there was a related post earlier today.)

I managed to find just this one image on the web. It may be better resolution if you can find it, as the original when viewed could be greatly expanded to reveal pin sharp detail.

Secondly one can look at the patinas/details/colours etc to one's heart's content.

Thirdly, for base builders, the colours and deck weathering- one could not ask for more.

Lastly, for diorama builders, the barrier is arrestor net is revealed in all it's complexity.

Nice picture.. Amazing if it's a model!
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

ResinPrince
ResinPrince

looks like type of barrier

April 16th, 2018, 11:44 pm #14

. . . and while well done, I don't think this type of barrier was used back then. Perhaps Tommy Thomason can straighten us out on that?
in Bridges at Toko-Ri
Last edited by Guest on April 16th, 2018, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Don! ...

April 16th, 2018, 11:54 pm #15

Those are auxiliary blown in doors for the engines. Allow more air during ground ops.
I learn something every day around here.

Thank you.

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

Yes, nice model. I think. The drape of the net looks off to my eye. nt.

April 17th, 2018, 12:45 am #16

Yes, nice model. I think. The drape of the net looks off to my eye. nt.

Perfect Glossy Sea blue!

April 17th, 2018, 12:47 am #17

I have terrible eyesight but GSB to my eyes is flat.

While many are pooh poohing the photo I think it's an excellent model

April 17th, 2018, 1:28 am #18

in its element. Well done.

I agree!

April 17th, 2018, 1:29 am #19

The open aux air doors is one of many nice details.
Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

Barrier/Barricade

April 17th, 2018, 2:08 am #20

The depicted scenario is a miss at a jet barrier (aka Davis barrier) engagement and entry into the barricade. Strictly speaking, the top strap of the barrier should probably still be hanging off the nose landing gear or a main gear, but maybe not. See here for the Bridges at Toko-Ri depiction:
http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2008/11/mo ... -ever.html

For more on the Davis barrier and the barricade, see
http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2010/10/ba ... -time.html