Talk to a WW II veteran before they are all gone

Talk to a WW II veteran before they are all gone

July 22nd, 2012, 1:25 am #1

Do not miss the opportunity to have a conversation with a World War II soldier or pilot before they all eventually pass away. I cherish the discussion that I had with Max Holtzem,German WWI fighter pilot, in 1972 at Rubidoux Airport, California. I also met Frank Courtney, WWI Sopwith test pilot in Escondido,CA. My late father told me stories about US Civil War vets that he had met. My maternal grandfather(born in Russia) related tales of an elderly soldier who faced Napoleon's armies in the 1812-1815 war.

July 22nd, 2012, 2:23 am #2

Sailed on a destroyer, on North Atlantic convoy duty and was on the third minesweeper off Omaha Beach on D-Day, before the troop transports arrived. I remember a lot of his stories. I have his little diary, that he had, even though it was against orders to have one.

I'm not a plastic kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

July 22nd, 2012, 2:29 am #3

Do not miss the opportunity to have a conversation with a World War II soldier or pilot before they all eventually pass away. I cherish the discussion that I had with Max Holtzem,German WWI fighter pilot, in 1972 at Rubidoux Airport, California. I also met Frank Courtney, WWI Sopwith test pilot in Escondido,CA. My late father told me stories about US Civil War vets that he had met. My maternal grandfather(born in Russia) related tales of an elderly soldier who faced Napoleon's armies in the 1812-1815 war.
Of them only two are left. I always cherish every chance I get to talk with them, and I almost always stop a Vet wearing a hat and ask where they served.

M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt

July 22nd, 2012, 3:05 am #4

Dad was in the Army and helped liberate the camp. Grandfather was also in the Army, doing graves registration.

July 22nd, 2012, 3:28 am #5

Of them only two are left. I always cherish every chance I get to talk with them, and I almost always stop a Vet wearing a hat and ask where they served.

M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt
One incident told to me by Mr. Holtzem is when a Taube pilot tried to start his aircraft by himself. A Taube was a two seater huge bird-like plane with a forty six foot wingspan powered only by a 120hp Mercedes engine. The wood wing ribs and horizontal stablizer terminated with flexible bamboo connected to steel cables and pulleys so the control surfaces could be warped.
The pilot must have advanced the throttle too much, for when he yanked the propeller to start the engine, the aircraft got away from him. It took off pilotless like a big freeflight model airplane as Taubes were quite stable. Max Holtzem,the pilot, and a field mechanic jumped into a car to give chase. The Taube flew around till it ran out of fuel and crashed into a tree.

July 22nd, 2012, 3:34 am #6

He had served in France, survived a vicious gas attack that left him without hair and eye brows. I met him at an American Legion meeting in 1975.

July 22nd, 2012, 4:23 am #7

My Grandfather immigrated to Canada from the UK just before WWI started. He volunteered into the Royal Canadian Army in 1914 and went back across the ocean, and survived all four years. I was too young to talk to him about it, he died in 1973.
My Dad fought in Korea in the Royal Canadian Army as an army engineer. I have pics of him and the halftrack he cruised around in. There are pics of some bridges he helped erect with Canadian and American Sherman Easy Eights crossing over. I think there is also a pic of a M26 crossing over as well. He also has pics of a Korean lad his unit befriended and had him help with odd jobs in the camp. He had written on the backs of the pics.
Sadly my dad left us around the same time my grandfather died so I didn't talk to him either.

July 22nd, 2012, 4:57 am #8

My Grandfather on my moms side was in the Wehrmacht Großdeutschland died in 1947 in Russian camp
my mother and my aunts and uncles were Hitler Youth no action seen aunts pack parachutes uncles work as sea help.
My mother has pictures of her with the Scharnhorst and E boats in the background.
Allot of history on my moms side my Oma was born in 1895 a lived thru 2 world wars

My Father was born in Canada but fought in the US army and guess what found my mom in Germany

Last edited by Makulit on July 22nd, 2012, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 22nd, 2012, 5:02 am #9

My Grandfather immigrated to Canada from the UK just before WWI started. He volunteered into the Royal Canadian Army in 1914 and went back across the ocean, and survived all four years. I was too young to talk to him about it, he died in 1973.
My Dad fought in Korea in the Royal Canadian Army as an army engineer. I have pics of him and the halftrack he cruised around in. There are pics of some bridges he helped erect with Canadian and American Sherman Easy Eights crossing over. I think there is also a pic of a M26 crossing over as well. He also has pics of a Korean lad his unit befriended and had him help with odd jobs in the camp. He had written on the backs of the pics.
Sadly my dad left us around the same time my grandfather died so I didn't talk to him either.
Years ago worked at Alva (around Fort Myers, Florida) at Corps Engineers Franklin lock and Dam. This little old man
would walk around lock and they called him Hungarian Steve. Never knew his last name. I'm into history so one day asked him if he served. Wow, what a story!

He enlisted in Army before 1939 because as he stated " I heard they feed you well,even meat". This was the depression era and three square meals was a great deal. So, they send him to Philippines and war starts. He tells me about being cut off from US Navy, crappy WW1 equipment and ammo that didn't work.

He didn't go into detail about death march and being in the ship holds which if you were present you would want to forget.

He then told me he was sent to Manchuria, China to work in a war plant. While there a JAPANESE civilian worker befriended him and kept him alive by hiding food for him in lath equipment storage draws in the plant. They probably would have done bad things to that Japanese guy
if they knew. An example of humanity even in war.

July 22nd, 2012, 5:20 am #10

My Grandfather was a Civil Worker at Pearl Harbor before WWI and during. He told me some stories about the attack, and after the war started, but did not get too deep. I know he got a Black Badge (It pissed him off being Black Badged) and had to work off base during the war. My Other Grandfather was injured in Italy with the 100th and formed up with the 442nd. My Grandmothers Brothers went into the Army with the 100th and 442nd and pass away before I really knew them. One of them was in the MIS and went island hopping, and said the worst was in Okinawa, and told the stories about talking the Japanese out of the caves and interogating POWs. He, later would not talk about it. One of my Uncles was Delivering Milk to Schofiled Barracks with his Dad during the attack. On the other side of the battle, on my Mom side I had a Great Uncle that was a pilot in the IJN and went missing during the Battle of the Philppine Sea. I think I narrowed it down, to him flying a A6M5. I got good stories for who I could, and wish I could hear more. A lot of History is being lost to time. Darren