Taking the Plunge......rigging a biplane

Taking the Plunge......rigging a biplane

May 19th, 2017, 3:38 pm #1

Hello, friends! I am about to buy a Wingnut Wings Camel. My first biplane and it needs to be rigged. I have looked at EZ line as rigging material but I am not impressed with the roll that I have and was considering black monofilament fishing line. What pound test would be appropriate for a 1/32 scale model? I cant use line diameter since that is not usually listed on US fishing line boxes. Can monofilament be tightened with heat? If you know a better way than monifilament, I would LOVE to hear about it.

Rigging the outside of a biplane AFTER you have spent hours painting it scared the knickers off of me. If you have a technique that works well, I would LOVE to hear about it.

TIA for your expert advice.

May 19th, 2017, 3:55 pm #2

I don't do biplanes often but I've had good success using fine stainless steel wire. The wire does what 1:1 rigging does, it adds structural rigidity. I recently saw a very skillfully built biplane rigged with EZ line that was so flimsy I'd be afraid to transport it.

May 19th, 2017, 4:14 pm #3

Hello, friends! I am about to buy a Wingnut Wings Camel. My first biplane and it needs to be rigged. I have looked at EZ line as rigging material but I am not impressed with the roll that I have and was considering black monofilament fishing line. What pound test would be appropriate for a 1/32 scale model? I cant use line diameter since that is not usually listed on US fishing line boxes. Can monofilament be tightened with heat? If you know a better way than monifilament, I would LOVE to hear about it.

Rigging the outside of a biplane AFTER you have spent hours painting it scared the knickers off of me. If you have a technique that works well, I would LOVE to hear about it.

... great article here: http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page6.html

which should help. The WNW rigging recommendations in their instructions would be:
(0.12 mm)2 lb test, (0.15mm) 3 lb test. Nylon thread will respond well to shrinking with heat.

The flat version of EZ line is more suitable for the flattened RAF flying wires, which can appear thick or thin depending on the viewing angle, due to their aerodynamic cross section. The adjustable turnbuckle type end fittings by Gaspatch provide a 'tongue' to attach the flat thread to, But many find the 1/48 scale ones look better for 1/32 scale.

May 19th, 2017, 5:52 pm #4

I would suggest that you use invisible mending thread for the control wires. It is basically fishing line, but very thin and it comes in colours already, so no need to paint it etc like clear mono.It also tightens with heat, though I rarely do that. I invariably burn it when I try!

I drill all the holes for it in advance of assembling/painting the kit. Think ahead so that the end hole is on the bottom, or under a decal to cover the work. I tie a knot in the thread and trim it close. Then dip it in CA glue and insert it into a blind hole for it's first attachment. Thread it through whatever routing it needs to be and then apply tension by hanging a hemostat on it. This gives it tension without over doing it. Do wires on opposite sides so that you don't pull the model out of true. Glue in place and then trim closely. If needed, touch up the paint and done.

I have not done any RAF flat flying wires, so I will bow to the experience of others here!

Chris

May 19th, 2017, 7:04 pm #5

I rig 1/48 biplanes with .008 phosphor bronze wire. Its easy to cut, and you just attach in place with super glue. Easy to use, and is relatively rigid so it will never sag like threads tend to do. Just paint it with your favorite steel color. Doing this has been very successful for me. If you're building 1/32 scale then you could maybe use .010 diameter.

http://mfpilot.com/model-supplies/scrat ... -tube.html

May 20th, 2017, 12:10 am #6

I suggest you first get a cheap 1/48 kit, slap it together without paint, and practice rigging on it. You'll learn how to do it better next time, the 'next time' being your nice WNW kit.

For rigging material, I prefer Nitinol wire, a nickel-titanium alloy, which you can buy from Amazon. It comes in straight lengths and has the property of springing back to its original shape after bending, so no worries about sagging or bending. In 1/72 scale I use .004" or .005" for rigging and .003" for control lines. I've seen some with a flat cross-section on the Internet (used for dental work, I believe), but I haven't tried it.

Stuart