T-6s with bottom of the rear fuselage painted black?

T-6s with bottom of the rear fuselage painted black?

April 16th, 2018, 1:50 am #1

I was browsing the Jeffrey L. Ethell Collection at ww2color.com and found some images that puzzled me.

Is it an optical illusion or was the bottom of the rear portion of the fuselage painted black?
And why?

Thanks in advance

Tel Mariavos, from Brazil

April 16th, 2018, 1:12 pm #2

It appears to be the same color that is on top of the cowling and it may be from the tail to the cowling on the bottom as well.

You will note that the black paint stops on one yellow plane, (TA-802) in front of the tail wheel, while it is painted to the rudder on another bare metal aircraft, (TA-185).

Who knows for sure without a photo, so paint it like you want!!!!

Maybe the bottom of the wings are the same color like they painted the B-52 bombers.

RJW
-----------

April 16th, 2018, 1:38 pm #3

I was browsing the Jeffrey L. Ethell Collection at ww2color.com and found some images that puzzled me.

Is it an optical illusion or was the bottom of the rear portion of the fuselage painted black?
And why?

Thanks in advance

..had matt black under fuselage...from tail to wheel wells..
Cheers..

April 16th, 2018, 1:43 pm #4

And why?

Thanks in advance

On some aircraft operators painted this area to hide hydraulic stains that stained this area due to that the hydraulic connections are at the tailing edge of the wing as is the flap actuator and these tend to leak.

April 16th, 2018, 4:23 pm #5

..had matt black under fuselage...from tail to wheel wells..
Cheers..
Thanks, Arturo. Do you have, by any chance, a photo taken from bellow that could let me see this detail?

Best regards,

Tel Mariavos

April 16th, 2018, 4:25 pm #6

On some aircraft operators painted this area to hide hydraulic stains that stained this area due to that the hydraulic connections are at the tailing edge of the wing as is the flap actuator and these tend to leak.
...why is it so important to hide hydraulic stains?
They do no harm to the structure, or to the skin, do they?

Regards,

Tel Mariavos

April 16th, 2018, 5:14 pm #7

And why?

Thanks in advance

Well, it has been 50 plus years since I spent much time around T-6s. But as I remember that area was painted because both the hydraulic overflow drain and relief tubes exited the lower fuselage about in the middle of the Black area. Both of those fluids are corrosive to unpainted metal. If you can find a sharp photo of that area you can see two 1/2" tubes coming out of the fuselage.

If you look at photos of some of the cargo planes you can see the same Black areas around parts of the rear fuselage where various exhausts/drains exist.

April 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm #8

And why?

Thanks in advance

According to Alwyn T Lloyd in the Aerofax book it was for anti-corrosion purposes.

April 16th, 2018, 7:55 pm #9

And why?

Thanks in advance

I have seen photos of Korean War T-6s in black underside camouflage.

April 16th, 2018, 8:03 pm #10

Thanks, Arturo. Do you have, by any chance, a photo taken from bellow that could let me see this detail?

Best regards,

Tel Mariavos

I hope you can make an idea of the undersides layout...
Cheers