T-45 Question

T-45 Question

July 22nd, 2011, 9:19 pm #1

OK, let's suppose I had an AirFix BAE Hawk and I REALLY wanted to build a T-45 instead. What would I have to do to the Hawk to make it into a reasonable facsimile of the Goshawk?

I ask because I have been looking around but cannot seem to find any books on the T-45 that are geared toward the modeler, no decent internet pages on the aircraft and no articles by anyone who has already made the conversion. Also, I do not have my own printing press - which would be necessary to buy the next Collect Air kit that comes up on the market.

Hope someone out there can lend a hand. Thanks in advance.

Joe

July 22nd, 2011, 9:45 pm #2

As they used to say up in Maine, "You can't get there from here"

There's actually very little in the way of commonality between the two. I guess it could be done, but unless you're very much into scratchbuilding

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?" from the movie "Airplane!" 1980
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

July 22nd, 2011, 10:39 pm #3

OK, let's suppose I had an AirFix BAE Hawk and I REALLY wanted to build a T-45 instead. What would I have to do to the Hawk to make it into a reasonable facsimile of the Goshawk?

I ask because I have been looking around but cannot seem to find any books on the T-45 that are geared toward the modeler, no decent internet pages on the aircraft and no articles by anyone who has already made the conversion. Also, I do not have my own printing press - which would be necessary to buy the next Collect Air kit that comes up on the market.

Joe
But here's a drawing and there are lots of pictures on line...

July 22nd, 2011, 10:44 pm #4

Joe
I have been known to force various bits of plastic, resin and metal to conform to my will in the past, but it usually involved something running on metal tracks. This wingy-thingy stuff is new to me, but, as a former Marine, I have never met a beach I wasn't willing to storm.

Thanks, guys. Let me see what I can do with this sucker. The basic shape 'looks' the part. Maybe the horror is in the dimensions. I'll use the diagram I have been so graciously provided and see what I can noodle.

Cheers.

July 22nd, 2011, 10:54 pm #5

Joe
Completely different landing gear (and positions), beefed up rear fuselage (fuselage brakes, tailhook area), difference in cockpit/ejection seats.....

Similar comparision in a ways to converting an AV-8A to an AV-8B, they may be based on the same lineage but pretty different.

We need an actual kit of a T-45.

steve

July 22nd, 2011, 11:04 pm #6

I can handle moving the gear wells and replacing the struts, tires. I can also handle the addition of speed brakes and the ventral fin/arresting hook. And cockpit re-works are a piece of cake. So, if the tail section still keeps its basic shape...

I 'might' be able to pull this off. Hmmm.....

July 23rd, 2011, 12:22 am #7

Joe
I don't want to start a rumor but......have patience.

A pipe give a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

July 23rd, 2011, 1:15 am #8

You did read where I said I am a former Marine, didn't you?

Well, OK, if I must.

July 23rd, 2011, 3:29 am #9

"former" Marine.....

July 23rd, 2011, 1:01 pm #10

I want to find the most acceptable way to differentiate between myself and those lucky enough to still have the privilege of wearing the eagle, globe and anchor