Swordfish wings and other er bits........

Swordfish wings and other er bits........

January 27th, 2012, 5:03 am #1

Hello chaps!

Yesterday being Australia Day and a public holiday, plus it was raining like a monsoon I managed to get quite a lot done, many hours sitting assembling more kit parts.

The wings got assembled; these went quite easily although like nearly every other part there was some filing or sanding to be done. Do find where the sprue connects to the parts that often there is a lump distorting the shape of the parts which need to be trimmed off the part with a sharp knife.

I cocked up with the upper wing section (part 10D 11D) which the folded wings attach to... thinking I could jump ahead I attached part 6B which fills the opening which you attach AFTER the folded wings have been fitted DOH. Too late the glue had done its job and the best I could do was force open a section where the folded wings attach to!! Bugger

I assembled the cowling which consists of a number of parts, that also did not go smoothly... more my rushing than anything else. Came across a nice photo of a Swordfish in a Canadian museum (Shearwater I think it was) that someone had generously posted on a web site - that shows the burnished effect on the front of the cowling. May be of use to others, I did some study of photos of the flying examples cowling but this seems to be more a grey colour than bronze.

A fellow modeller (Glen Porter who reviews for Hyperscale) is generously giving me a set of decals from the 4+ publication for K6009 this is a pre war aircraft, I think someone else has done this and posted on the Plane Forum it looked quite a good scheme.

More progress as time goes by..

Simon

The torpedo rack:

The upper wings ... bit of a gap where the struts fit:

The lower wings:

The mistake with the upper wing centre section:

The lovely torpedo trolley:

The slightly messily done cowling:

The Canadian Museum cowling photo (sorry I don't know whose photos this is:

The K6009 scheme that this model will be done it:

January 27th, 2012, 5:18 am #2

some people depict it. It is a difficult colour to get right - but at least there was a lot of variation.

January 27th, 2012, 5:26 am #3

Hello chaps!

Yesterday being Australia Day and a public holiday, plus it was raining like a monsoon I managed to get quite a lot done, many hours sitting assembling more kit parts.

The wings got assembled; these went quite easily although like nearly every other part there was some filing or sanding to be done. Do find where the sprue connects to the parts that often there is a lump distorting the shape of the parts which need to be trimmed off the part with a sharp knife.

I cocked up with the upper wing section (part 10D 11D) which the folded wings attach to... thinking I could jump ahead I attached part 6B which fills the opening which you attach AFTER the folded wings have been fitted DOH. Too late the glue had done its job and the best I could do was force open a section where the folded wings attach to!! Bugger

I assembled the cowling which consists of a number of parts, that also did not go smoothly... more my rushing than anything else. Came across a nice photo of a Swordfish in a Canadian museum (Shearwater I think it was) that someone had generously posted on a web site - that shows the burnished effect on the front of the cowling. May be of use to others, I did some study of photos of the flying examples cowling but this seems to be more a grey colour than bronze.

A fellow modeller (Glen Porter who reviews for Hyperscale) is generously giving me a set of decals from the 4+ publication for K6009 this is a pre war aircraft, I think someone else has done this and posted on the Plane Forum it looked quite a good scheme.

Simon

The torpedo rack:

The lower wings:

So it's not quite the shake and bake that those crisp mouldings lure you into believing? Love the scheme - finished the Matchbox kit as that plane many years ago using Travers decals.

January 27th, 2012, 5:39 am #4

Hello chaps!

Simon

The torpedo rack:

The lower wings:

The Canadian Photo was from a post by Victor Schueman

January 27th, 2012, 5:41 am #5

some people depict it. It is a difficult colour to get right - but at least there was a lot of variation.
Bronze was my choice of word... a poor choice, so thanks for clarifying appreciate it. Yes looks awfully challenging to paint.. but wnat to have a go! Failing that I'll go for a dark grey ish colour.

Simon

January 27th, 2012, 5:43 am #6

So it's not quite the shake and bake that those crisp mouldings lure you into believing? Love the scheme - finished the Matchbox kit as that plane many years ago using Travers decals.

No I don't think it is the shake and bake kit that ome think it is, but then the detail on the parts is beautiful.. and deffinetly worth getting as it is the best 1:72 Swordfish kit around... I would build another one, no doubts about that.
Cheers

Simon

January 27th, 2012, 9:27 am #7

Hello chaps!

Simon

The torpedo rack:

The lower wings:

Further to Simon's notes about the "fit" of the Aifix kit's windscreen, scroll back to the posting by Victor Scheuerman on Jan 8th and look closely at photos 3,5 and 8. The "wings" of the windscreen are sitting proud of the cockpit coaming - as in - there is a distinct gap between the coaming and the windscreen frame. Has anybody else noticed this on the English based example ? Whether Airfix were trying to replicate this is a matter for speculation (I doubt it in this scale), but an interesting feature if it is common. Almost as if it was a bit of an afterthought at Fairey vis a vis "What about a windscreen Fred ? ". "Cripes you're right. Forgot completely about it. Go down to stores and see what they've got. The Flycather one might sort of fit" etc.

January 27th, 2012, 9:32 pm #8

Hello chaps!

Simon

The torpedo rack:

The lower wings:

Another reason for me to get this kit

And I wish gimmicks like this were included in every kit - it would bring some interesting life on the shelves and I would no longer need mouse traps to spice up the hobby

Nice progress Simon, and good pictures, I really get a feel of the kit, and it looks good

A picture of a Swordfish at Duxford, happily strolling around in the sky

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - AZ Model - Kawasaki Ki-78 : Part I
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

January 27th, 2012, 10:17 pm #9

Hello chaps!

Simon

The torpedo rack:

The lower wings:

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish