Swordfish tail and windscreen

Swordfish tail and windscreen

January 23rd, 2012, 7:45 am #1

Hi!

I have been making some progress around the canopy and tail section.. With the canopy or may be I should call it the windscreen..it does not fit too well, there is a substantial gap on the LHS where it joins to the fuselage, plus where it fits over part of the cockpit section the instructions don't indicate that there is another leather/padded 'thing' in front of the pilot.. I painted this 'thing' leather brown (Humbrol 62) but it should really be leather black.. some of the fuselage section shows through the clear part, I painted this interior green.

This photo may explain it better:

The tail assembly is interesting and nicely detailed.. but looks odd once assembled, there is quite a gap appearing however the deatil is lovely and fine and thin.. but it looks odd...

January 23rd, 2012, 11:10 am #2

But coming along nicely! The cockpit really looks good, and i like the look of the brown leather. I don't know what the tail bits of the Swordfish are supposed to look like, but it's a goony enough airplane that the gaps could well be accurate. Will it be wing time soon?

Watching with great interest,

Stuart

January 23rd, 2012, 11:50 am #3

Hi!

I have been making some progress around the canopy and tail section.. With the canopy or may be I should call it the windscreen..it does not fit too well, there is a substantial gap on the LHS where it joins to the fuselage, plus where it fits over part of the cockpit section the instructions don't indicate that there is another leather/padded 'thing' in front of the pilot.. I painted this 'thing' leather brown (Humbrol 62) but it should really be leather black.. some of the fuselage section shows through the clear part, I painted this interior green.

The tail assembly is interesting and nicely detailed.. but looks odd once assembled, there is quite a gap appearing however the deatil is lovely and fine and thin.. but it looks odd...

This kit is certainly no quick build, and requires care, but I have had no problems so far with gaps or any need for filler, not even in any of the places so far shown. If anything, parts are a very snug fit. So, parts do benefit from careful trial assembly, and may need occasional gentle touching up of any sharp moulding edges on components, to make sure they just slip (click?) firmly into place. Alignment of components once in place is neat, and barely needs any but the gentlest touching up with a fine sanding stick.
Last edited by veltro-uk on January 23rd, 2012, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2012, 8:47 pm #4

Hi!

a slight step twixt fuselage top and tailplane so Airfix appear to have it right Simon. It does look a little prominent though. Coming along rather nicely old chap!

January 23rd, 2012, 9:36 pm #5

the whole tailplane was adjustable for incidence via a screw jack under the leading edge to change the trim of the aircraft to account for release of bomb load etc. so it wasn't "joined" to the fuselage as such apart from the pivoted mount and jack.

January 23rd, 2012, 9:58 pm #6

Hi!

Nice work so far - thanks for the insights Simon, still worth every penny me thinks

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - AZ Model - Kawasaki Ki-78 : Part I
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

January 23rd, 2012, 11:14 pm #7

Hi!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

January 24th, 2012, 7:24 am #8

But coming along nicely! The cockpit really looks good, and i like the look of the brown leather. I don't know what the tail bits of the Swordfish are supposed to look like, but it's a goony enough airplane that the gaps could well be accurate. Will it be wing time soon?

Watching with great interest,

Stuart
That's okay.... what minor extra work is needed is not dramatic. Not sure when I will get to the wings, next is the u/c but then the wings will come after that. Thursday being Australia Day and a public holiday I am hoping to push it along a bit...

Cheers

Simon

January 24th, 2012, 7:30 am #9

This kit is certainly no quick build, and requires care, but I have had no problems so far with gaps or any need for filler, not even in any of the places so far shown. If anything, parts are a very snug fit. So, parts do benefit from careful trial assembly, and may need occasional gentle touching up of any sharp moulding edges on components, to make sure they just slip (click?) firmly into place. Alignment of components once in place is neat, and barely needs any but the gentlest touching up with a fine sanding stick.
parts - mainly with the lower fuselage piece and glued it out of alignment! My mistake. But the clear part fit is not good and I did take quite a lot of care and did quite a bit of filing and sanding for the tailplane part but there was still a substantial gap... plus there were a couple of sink marks on the part that fits behind the mg.. Anyway I will post some photos further on.. Nothing serious it is still a fabulous kit and I am enjoying building it and might even build another one!

Simon

January 24th, 2012, 7:31 am #10

the whole tailplane was adjustable for incidence via a screw jack under the leading edge to change the trim of the aircraft to account for release of bomb load etc. so it wasn't "joined" to the fuselage as such apart from the pivoted mount and jack.
I will post further on for other builders to use..

Simon