Swordfish almost nearly... bit of tweeking.. complete (ish)

Swordfish almost nearly... bit of tweeking.. complete (ish)

May 9th, 2012, 9:12 am #1

Halo.. compardre's..

Yes she's no longer like an upturned turtle!

I've been away for work for a vew days so am only just catching up with whats happening here... The Swordfish is 99.5% complete, I had damaged the 'checker' decal on applying it to the model and touched it up with some paint... The cowling came off and the prop snapped so these both had to be re glued, but the folded wings have stayed on! (did I speak too soon). I also painted the area on the upper mid wing section near the wing fold hinge, note to msyelf read the kit instructions next time... Next Airfix Swordfish I build will not have the wings folded, I think Airfix did a first class job on this kit and I recommend it wholeheartedly... but the wing fold is quite fragile! Oh I still have the torpedo and trolley to complete, the other thing is with the wings folded the beautiful crew section is harder to see!

Anyway it's been an interesting challenege... and no I am not goign to rig it... but it would look better rigged I just can't bring msyelf to do it...

regards

Simon

May 9th, 2012, 10:51 am #2

Well done and many congratulations. You took the build carefully and have produced a superb model! Looking forward to seeing more builds. tally ho. Jonathan

May 9th, 2012, 11:33 am #3

Halo.. compardre's..

I've been away for work for a vew days so am only just catching up with whats happening here... The Swordfish is 99.5% complete, I had damaged the 'checker' decal on applying it to the model and touched it up with some paint... The cowling came off and the prop snapped so these both had to be re glued, but the folded wings have stayed on! (did I speak too soon). I also painted the area on the upper mid wing section near the wing fold hinge, note to msyelf read the kit instructions next time... Next Airfix Swordfish I build will not have the wings folded, I think Airfix did a first class job on this kit and I recommend it wholeheartedly... but the wing fold is quite fragile! Oh I still have the torpedo and trolley to complete, the other thing is with the wings folded the beautiful crew section is harder to see!

Anyway it's been an interesting challenege... and no I am not goign to rig it... but it would look better rigged I just can't bring msyelf to do it...

regards

Simon
That is well done!!!! Tanks for sharing. N/T

May 9th, 2012, 1:11 pm #4

Halo.. compardre's..

regards

Simon
But isn't it upside down? All the other photos on this forum show the new Swordfish the other way up

Regards,
Adrian

May 9th, 2012, 4:11 pm #5

Halo.. compardre's..

regards

Simon
...first class job there! It has be interesting watching it come together. Lots to learn from you posts. Now we are all better armed and ready for our own Swordfish builds...

Excellent.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

May 9th, 2012, 8:25 pm #6

Halo.. compardre's..

regards

Simon
And it is a beauty - I just love these markings, they make me consider doing another prewar Swordfish (I already have a Matchbox Swordfish in prewar colours - also without rigging ) despite I was thinking of doing it in war colours

I'm also sweetly impressed by how thin the rudder is - that is pretty sharp !

Great work Simon - but I'm still looking forward to the trolley,I'm curious for this nice little extra in the box

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV /end (incl. Model Force 2012 show report)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

May 9th, 2012, 9:11 pm #7

Halo.. compardre's..

regards

Simon
Looking very good, and obviously the hard work has paid off.

Hmm that's really going to start me thinking about interesting squadron markings, but enough of that.

Well done, fantastic looking Swordfish, and a really inspirational build with all the tenacity to get it finished.

Cheers,

Eddie

May 9th, 2012, 11:46 pm #8

Halo.. compardre's..

regards

Simon
Lovey build, finish and scheme.............nt

May 10th, 2012, 12:33 am #9

Halo.. compardre's..

regards

Simon
I especially like how the weathered gray on the forward fuselage looks. This has been a very fun and instructive build to watch. After seeing yours, I reeeeally want to do one myself.

Stuart

May 10th, 2012, 12:44 am #10

Halo.. compardre's..

regards

Simon
I have followed your build with great interest as I intend to build one in that very scheme too! Well executed!