Supreme court strikes down stolen valor act

Supreme court strikes down stolen valor act

June 28th, 2012, 2:25 pm #1

the Supreme court of the US has shot down the Stolen valor act. What this means is that it is NOT punishable to say you were in the service of the US Military, and it is not punishable to say you have been given awards and decorations from that service. The Supreme court felt that this is protected by the first amendment.

Many of us here have discussed so called PX heroes in the past. I think the overall consensus is that we abhor such behavior, as it undermines the deeds and sacrifices of real servicemembers.

So, the bottom line is that these "bar room braggars" cannot be punished by the law. HOWEVER, there are many sites, already in place, to report people like this. We may not be able to punish them, but, we can tell them- "I know what you are doing. You are a liar, and an insult, and a piece of xxxx! Stop it now!"

I know this is, in all truth, a political comment. I am not advocating any political agenda. I just felt this topic was worth sharing. If not, my humble apologies.

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

June 28th, 2012, 4:15 pm #2

While I don't like the decision, it is one of our basic freedoms.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
Last edited by modeldad on June 28th, 2012, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2012, 4:26 pm #3

the Supreme court of the US has shot down the Stolen valor act. What this means is that it is NOT punishable to say you were in the service of the US Military, and it is not punishable to say you have been given awards and decorations from that service. The Supreme court felt that this is protected by the first amendment.

Many of us here have discussed so called PX heroes in the past. I think the overall consensus is that we abhor such behavior, as it undermines the deeds and sacrifices of real servicemembers.

So, the bottom line is that these "bar room braggars" cannot be punished by the law. HOWEVER, there are many sites, already in place, to report people like this. We may not be able to punish them, but, we can tell them- "I know what you are doing. You are a liar, and an insult, and a piece of xxxx! Stop it now!"

I know this is, in all truth, a political comment. I am not advocating any political agenda. I just felt this topic was worth sharing. If not, my humble apologies.

I don't like it either, and anyone falsely claiming war hero status deserves whatever mockery, scorn, and rejection comes their way. However, I have to draw the line against throwing them in jail, because the advantage being sought is one based on ego rather than material gain (in 99% of instances, anyways). They're dysfunctional liars, and people don't like liars- especially employers. They'll find their punishment in being ostracized.

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

June 28th, 2012, 5:18 pm #4

...that child molesting is protected as "freedom of religion," or some such. Sigh.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

June 28th, 2012, 6:01 pm #5

I don't like it either, and anyone falsely claiming war hero status deserves whatever mockery, scorn, and rejection comes their way. However, I have to draw the line against throwing them in jail, because the advantage being sought is one based on ego rather than material gain (in 99% of instances, anyways). They're dysfunctional liars, and people don't like liars- especially employers. They'll find their punishment in being ostracized.

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner
...for the liars they are. Perfect symmetry!

Cheers,

Lee G.

June 28th, 2012, 6:04 pm #6

...that child molesting is protected as "freedom of religion," or some such. Sigh.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!
...which doesn't seem to bode well regardless of which side of the political fence you reside. Oh well...

Cheers,

Lee G.
Last edited by leegee_77 on June 28th, 2012, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2012, 7:52 pm #7

While I don't like the decision, it is one of our basic freedoms.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
While I am offended by those individuals who claim service they did not perform, the cure might have been worse than the ill. Freedom is to precious.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html
Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

June 28th, 2012, 7:54 pm #8

...which doesn't seem to bode well regardless of which side of the political fence you reside. Oh well...

Cheers,

Lee G.
And the state assumes more power over the individual.

CB

Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

June 28th, 2012, 9:10 pm #9

Cheers,

Lee G.
whats next, if you don't buy a govt. approved Hybrid auto you have to pay a "penalty" (tax)? Apparently the SCOTUS says they can legally do that if they want because the congress has the ability to levy taxes. Disturbing.

Roy

June 28th, 2012, 9:41 pm #10

...but it does SEEM to set the precedent for Congress to impose a tax on anything it wants under their taxing authority (majority decision), but SCOTUS did (barely - Roberts disagreed with the four "liberal" members) limit Congress' ability for broad authority under the Commerce Clause. This is apparently a significant difference to wonks, but the net effect in the real world is that the individual mandate stands. As a tax, it can be repealed by future Congresses (?).

We'll be talking about this one for a long time.

Lee G.