Super-soft plastic. Builders beware.

Super-soft plastic. Builders beware.

June 12th, 2012, 11:42 pm #1

I finally took the plunge and started an Olimp JN-4 Jenny trainer with USMC markings in 1/72nd scale. I was hesitant to buy one as most Olimp kits are resin, but somebody on Hyperscale said the Jennys were injected. The problem started from the fact that both wings were in three pieces(right and left with a center section). When I glued the sections together I used a little Microweld on each side of the joins and taped and jigged them on a piece of Mylar. I did this on a couple of AZ Model Avro 504Ks and It made a very strong wing assembly. Two days later the whole thing was like a hinged folding screen when I removed it from the jig. I separated the things and laid the parts out and it took a week for the plastic to reharden. I wound up using pins and superglue. It is not quite as neat as what I wanted but it is the only way to get this kit built, as I have always wanted a 1/72 Jenny. I don't think I will be buying any more kits from Olimp. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

June 13th, 2012, 10:49 pm #2

How did the Avros turn out? I am curious about that kit (I presume you meant A-Model, not AZ Model, or does AZ Models also do a 504 in 1/72?).

June 14th, 2012, 1:57 am #3

I sent you a photo from my i-Phone of a Latvian 504K on skis. I also have an Estonian 504K with wheels. Decals by Blue Rider. The kits were like the KP biplanes but with a little more flash to clean up. The Jenny is slowly coming along now that I finally got the wings built. Thanks for asking. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

June 15th, 2012, 4:21 pm #4

I finally took the plunge and started an Olimp JN-4 Jenny trainer with USMC markings in 1/72nd scale. I was hesitant to buy one as most Olimp kits are resin, but somebody on Hyperscale said the Jennys were injected. The problem started from the fact that both wings were in three pieces(right and left with a center section). When I glued the sections together I used a little Microweld on each side of the joins and taped and jigged them on a piece of Mylar. I did this on a couple of AZ Model Avro 504Ks and It made a very strong wing assembly. Two days later the whole thing was like a hinged folding screen when I removed it from the jig. I separated the things and laid the parts out and it took a week for the plastic to reharden. I wound up using pins and superglue. It is not quite as neat as what I wanted but it is the only way to get this kit built, as I have always wanted a 1/72 Jenny. I don't think I will be buying any more kits from Olimp. Adios, Larry.

Larry, I have an extra Pegasus 1/72 Jenny if you would like it to use the upper wing as a replacement. I believe it is a one piece wing, metal engine. Yours if you need it. Tim

June 15th, 2012, 4:22 pm #5

dont know why this was Anonymous!

June 15th, 2012, 4:29 pm #6

Larry, I have an extra Pegasus 1/72 Jenny if you would like it to use the upper wing as a replacement. I believe it is a one piece wing, metal engine. Yours if you need it. Tim
Pins and superglue did the trick. The top wing looks good, but how the bottom wing turned out relagates the kit to 3 foot scale and back row on the shelf. Thanks again for the kind offer. A fellow Hyperscaler said that the Olimp kits were pretty good, But I will stick with Toko, Eduard, Roden, and Eastern Express for my WW1 builds. Adios, Larry.

June 15th, 2012, 4:33 pm #7

Glad you were able to salvage it! The Jenny is such an iconic aircraft. I want to build one soon as well.

June 16th, 2012, 8:57 pm #8

This one is a 3 footer at least. It will look O/K with the USMC markings and chrome yellow wing and stabilizer topsides and light gray airframe. Adios, Larry.