Sunoco Blue / Yellow

Sunoco Blue / Yellow

October 4th, 2013, 7:42 pm #1

I'm looking for the 'right' shade of blue for the 66 Penske Corvette. Revell says the car was painted in the sponsor's (Sunoco) colors for Sebring. I'm thinking a Tamiya TS55 Dark Blue or the slightly lighter TS 51. The yellow should not be a problem Anyone have an idea or built this kit?

T.I.A,

Chris

October 5th, 2013, 1:19 am #2

If I were building that model, I'd probably go with Model Master Blue Angel Blue. Correct or not? It looks close enough for me.

But there are lots of photos of that car on the net; Google-image it and decide for yourself.

And then there's Model Car World, which I'm pretty sure would have the exact Sunoco Blue shade you seek.

Remember, to a real modeler, kit instructions are just somebody else's opinion.

Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling Forum: http://retroscalemodeling.lefora.com/

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

October 5th, 2013, 1:59 am #3

I Googled Sunoco Blue and found codes for a Ditzler paint and some pictures of the real car in different light and a few different angles. The Blue Angel blue looks like a good match. I'm looking for a lacquer if I can find one. Tamiya TS-15 looks really close. Gonna see if LHS has some tomorrow.

October 5th, 2013, 2:25 am #4

I just google-imaged Tamiya TS-15 and that looks like an acceptable match. If you're particularly comfortable using Tamiya rattlecans, then go for it!

Remember, to a real modeler, kit instructions are just somebody else's opinion.

Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling Forum: http://retroscalemodeling.lefora.com/

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

October 7th, 2013, 8:57 pm #5

I'm looking for the 'right' shade of blue for the 66 Penske Corvette. Revell says the car was painted in the sponsor's (Sunoco) colors for Sebring. I'm thinking a Tamiya TS55 Dark Blue or the slightly lighter TS 51. The yellow should not be a problem Anyone have an idea or built this kit?

T.I.A,

Chris
And as Snake has said, any dark blue will do but your Tamiya pick should look great.

This is my conversion before the Monogram kit came out with all the bits and decals. I have no idea what blue spray bomb I used but liked it well enough to use it on my own helmet.

Remember to fill in the scoops behind the door frame/rear window and on the hood. My "9" is actually a Chaparral "66" turned upside-down as it's all I could find.

Good luck !!!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

October 7th, 2013, 10:36 pm #6

Used to race FV myself in a previous life...

And dont I know you through the 43rd builder community?? That Vee above was mostly paid for through selling built-ups.
Last edited by orangelion03 on October 7th, 2013, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 9th, 2013, 8:55 pm #7

I loved driving this thing.....

I seem to recall your name associated with Paul Fisher's site...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

October 10th, 2013, 1:53 pm #8

Looks really well prepped and detailed! Always liked Crossles...they just seemed to have that little extra touch of detail that set them apart. By VF I meant Vintage Ford =)
I recently reconnected with my FV car. I was the original builder (1992; frame kit + VW parts + modifications) then sold it in 1999. Currently in the hands of the widow of the fourth owner.

I've known Paul since he lived in SoCal and was a regular at Paul Freiler's Historical Models in Torrance. I have built at least one of nearly all his car models for clients.