Summertime build: 1/48 F-4B Phantom

Summertime build: 1/48 F-4B Phantom

June 25th, 2012, 1:19 am #1

It's Summertime...which means a super slow down in time spent at the model bench. Been working on and off trying to get this F-4B Phantom from VF-14 completed for a local plane park that is doing an exhibit of VF-14 aircraft. This is the Hasegawa F-4B/N with the raised panel lines (guess that is the older kit). Build was pretty easy. Took off a bunch of lumps and bumps and backdated it just a little. Nobody makes VF-14 F-4 markings in 1/48, so I am stealing some from the recently released Demon aftermarket sheets that are out there. The painting is standard, but lightened up the upper surface gray to match photos references. I'm just putting on standard F-4 markings from a Vagabond Decal sheet for VF-84 I believe. These decals ROCK, and conform beautifully when using Tamiya X-20A as a setting solution.

So here she is, my in-progress. More to come as I put the thousands of little decals on and work all the landing gear/pylons/weapons.

Cheers
Collin

Preshadding with Tamiya Flat Black
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Working the Gloss Gull Grey and white underbelly
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Drying rack (my furnance room)
[/IMG]

Trying to match the upper surface color
[/IMG]

Start of the decaling process
[/IMG]

June 25th, 2012, 5:34 am #2

F-18E sheets might give you some markings also they seem very close

June 25th, 2012, 2:15 pm #3

It's Summertime...which means a super slow down in time spent at the model bench. Been working on and off trying to get this F-4B Phantom from VF-14 completed for a local plane park that is doing an exhibit of VF-14 aircraft. This is the Hasegawa F-4B/N with the raised panel lines (guess that is the older kit). Build was pretty easy. Took off a bunch of lumps and bumps and backdated it just a little. Nobody makes VF-14 F-4 markings in 1/48, so I am stealing some from the recently released Demon aftermarket sheets that are out there. The painting is standard, but lightened up the upper surface gray to match photos references. I'm just putting on standard F-4 markings from a Vagabond Decal sheet for VF-84 I believe. These decals ROCK, and conform beautifully when using Tamiya X-20A as a setting solution.

So here she is, my in-progress. More to come as I put the thousands of little decals on and work all the landing gear/pylons/weapons.

Cheers
Collin

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hope to see her done soon!

As with Corsairs, a man can't have too many Phantoms!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

June 25th, 2012, 4:17 pm #4

Cheers
Collin

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Nt

Brandon

June 25th, 2012, 10:12 pm #5

Cheers
Collin

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Looking good and very interesting !!!!!

Alberto

Alberto Accumolli

G.M.B. BRANZACK

June 25th, 2012, 10:43 pm #6

Cheers
Collin

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
r

June 26th, 2012, 11:20 am #7

Cheers
Collin

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]