Stick shift vehicles.

Stick shift vehicles.

May 1st, 2012, 6:10 pm #1

Just now the CNBC channel was talking about how stick shift cars are beginning to sell again. (Cadillac's Sedan comes with a stick shift version.)
CNBC was saying alot of people don't know how to drive a stick shift vehicle, and one of the reporters said he couldn't.
I've had more stick shifts than I have autos. My current one is auto and I find myself grabbing the stick and patting the floor with my foot looking for the clutch!! LOL!!

Anyone here NOT know how to drive a standard/stick shift??

Bo
Last edited by jabow1 on May 1st, 2012, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2012, 6:24 pm #2

...of the first automatics I drove!

Lee G.

May 1st, 2012, 7:25 pm #3

Just now the CNBC channel was talking about how stick shift cars are beginning to sell again. (Cadillac's Sedan comes with a stick shift version.)
CNBC was saying alot of people don't know how to drive a stick shift vehicle, and one of the reporters said he couldn't.
I've had more stick shifts than I have autos. My current one is auto and I find myself grabbing the stick and patting the floor with my foot looking for the clutch!! LOL!!

Bo
...as well as shutting it off as I coast up the driveway, and then realizing I can't get the key out while the stupid slushbox is still in D...

After three manuals and one automatic, my next one will have three pedals...

May 1st, 2012, 8:40 pm #4

Bo
Whats an "automatic"?

May 1st, 2012, 8:49 pm #5

Bo
you can drive most anything. Been driving a manual since I started driving. Vw's only came that way for a long time. I have one now but my daily driver is a big honkin gas guzzeling Pick Up Truck with an Automatic.

May 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm #6

Spent 36 years driving everything from 5&3s to 15 speeds. Favorite was the 15 speed.BTW, these are all big rig trannies. My current car is a '91 Sube wagon with a 5 speed. Love it. one of the sweetest shifting cars I've had.

Cheers, Terry

May 1st, 2012, 9:56 pm #7

Bo
Why would anyone who enjoys driving want to drive automatic from choice?....

May 1st, 2012, 10:52 pm #8

Bo
in 1965, and until I got the Solara (another in a long series of convertibles) I'm driving now (got it in 2006) I never had anything but manual transmission cars. Most of them convertible sports car types, but a few hardtops in there (VW bugs, '56 Ford Country Squire-first car-, '71 Plymouth Duster w/318 -first new car-). And you can't have a sports car (including the Mustangs I had) without a stick. But I'll admit, driving the LA freeways my whole life, an auto would of been nice. The TR6 I had hated that type of driving. Sort of like asking a throughbred to pull a haywagon you know. Trouble was, with that car, either the clutch was engaged or it wasn't. No sliiping the clutch in that one. Sat in too many long lines of bumper to bumper, 5 mph traffic. Fought off a lot of left leg cramps! And to tell the truth, I'm getting older and wiser, and suspect the Jeep Rubicon (6 speed manual and the SOB still only got 12-13 mpg!!) I traded in to get the Solara will probably be the last stick I ever own. I figure another couple of years, my left leg will be about the same size as the right . However, both my boys and the ex I taught to drive sticks. Just one of those skills, like parallel parking everyone ought to know.
McLents
Last edited by McLents on May 1st, 2012, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2012, 10:58 pm #9

Why would anyone who enjoys driving want to drive automatic from choice?....
does build up the left leg muscles.

My girlfriend and I arived at a party in my 58 VW one night. Just as I pulled into the driveway the clutch cable broke. We stayed a few hours then I took her to her house about 40 miles distance in my now clutchless VW.

Pull up to a light, shut it off, put it in 2nd gear and wait for the green light. Turn on the key and a few jumps later it is running and we are off, listen to the rpms and shift without the clutch. Only hit a few gears the whole way home. We had a good laugh about it.

Next day pulled the pedal assembly and put in a new cable and just like new!

May 2nd, 2012, 12:07 am #10

Bo
Drove the truck all around the corn field. My sister and I had to teach our spouses how to drive a stick. My wife learned to drive on my 944. The Audi I bought her shortly after was also a 5-speed. She's driven it for 13 years...

Cheers,
Dave