Static T34 turret on Russian fortresses. (did it happen?

Static T34 turret on Russian fortresses. (did it happen?

March 13th, 2012, 8:03 pm #1

So, I have a bunch of spare parts and was thinking about building a Russian fortress using just a T34/76 turret on top like the Germans did with their spare turrets for defence positions only I can't find any proof that it happened. I googled it and found only one pic of a "pillbox" T34 turret and its a model. It looks like the Russian Brest fortress MAY have have used this but can't find any real info.
I assume that at some point the Russians did use something in this manner but I would like alittle more proof.

Did it happen?

"I may not like what you have to say,but I'm willing to die for your right to say it"

March 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm #2

of the invasion. If it ever did get a T-34 turret, it would have been postwar. You gotta recall that the war was quite fluid, over an enormous expanse. Strongpoints like forts were not an item to be defended so why invest resources like a good turret?

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Last edited by roy_chow on March 13th, 2012, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Chow
AMPS President
<a href="http://www.amps-armor.org" rel="nofollow">http://www.amps-armor.org</a>

March 13th, 2012, 10:12 pm #3

Theirs a lot of examples of the Germans using static mount turrets on fortified positions.
I realize that the Russian tactic was different as in "every gun to the front" but at some point you would think that they would have tried this somewhere?

"I may not like what you have to say,but I'm willing to die for your right to say it"

March 13th, 2012, 10:17 pm #4

So, I have a bunch of spare parts and was thinking about building a Russian fortress using just a T34/76 turret on top like the Germans did with their spare turrets for defence positions only I can't find any proof that it happened. I googled it and found only one pic of a "pillbox" T34 turret and its a model. It looks like the Russian Brest fortress MAY have have used this but can't find any real info.
I assume that at some point the Russians did use something in this manner but I would like alittle more proof.

Did it happen?

The T-34 was rare in 1941 and any spare turrets would not be used for dug in fortifications. There were not tank turret defenses at Brest anyway.

You do see various old model T-34 and KV turrets used on Russian armored trains well it the War.

Post-War there are T-34 turret bunkers but I am not sure they are even Russian but were used by other countries like Yugoslavia. The Russians did dig in some tanks along the border with China

March 13th, 2012, 10:18 pm #5

Theirs a lot of examples of the Germans using static mount turrets on fortified positions.
I realize that the Russian tactic was different as in "every gun to the front" but at some point you would think that they would have tried this somewhere?

And they used old, obsolete tank turrets like French stuff captured in 1940. The Russians, on the other hand, were caught napping in 1941 and had pretty spotty and sparse defenses.

March 14th, 2012, 4:43 am #6

Did it happen?

Very intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4eODo-WfUs

March 15th, 2012, 2:43 am #7

The trailer is pretty awsome...

March 15th, 2012, 8:44 pm #8

Did it happen?

I think they used a few on armored railway cars. Another idea is to display turret subassemblies being shipped on flat rail cars. I've considered displaying Tiger and Panther turrets that way. I don't know if the Russians transported tanks and tank parts by rail. I assume they had to at some point due to the distances involved.

Brent