Squadron at Sea U.S.S. Arizona

Squadron at Sea U.S.S. Arizona

November 11th, 2011, 5:20 pm #1

David Doyle did a great job on this book and if you're building a model of the Arizona I highly recommend it. The book has great photos and makes a perfect companion to my copy of Stillwell's "Battleship Arizona". I "picked on" Dave awhile back about some captions in another book he did, so this is to make up for hurting his feelings. His new book on the FT-17?M-1917 tank is also very well done.

November 11th, 2011, 11:58 pm #2

As a bona fide, you can see my name in the acknowledgements.

I was opposed to Squadron books for a number of years. Crappy artwork, pixelated photos, really bad information. David contacted me when he was starting on the book and asked for help, and send me 5-6 different books he'd done. It was obvious that he cared; his squadron books did not have the pixelation, did not have bad information, and were just generally all around good product. So I agreed to help him. I've proof read a couple of other ship books he's done since and will say that I consider him a good guy; dedicated to creating valuable and correct references that people can collect and hold for many years. He goes out and tries to find new photos as opposed to just re-churning the same ones that have been printed before.

I would, at this time, buy anything he's written, if the subject interested me, without reservation. He uses less commas than me as well
Tracy White
Researcher At Large

November 12th, 2011, 4:01 pm #3

He and I corresponded some about the quality of assorted Squadron books and he graciously provided me with a couple of copies of some of his titles. I think, from what I saw, that the quality of his Squadron books is, for the most part, pretty high and I would recommend them based on Doyle being the author.

His new Sherman In Action is one of the best Sherman books I have seen in a long time.

November 13th, 2011, 2:14 am #4

nt

November 13th, 2011, 7:55 pm #5

As a bona fide, you can see my name in the acknowledgements.

I was opposed to Squadron books for a number of years. Crappy artwork, pixelated photos, really bad information. David contacted me when he was starting on the book and asked for help, and send me 5-6 different books he'd done. It was obvious that he cared; his squadron books did not have the pixelation, did not have bad information, and were just generally all around good product. So I agreed to help him. I've proof read a couple of other ship books he's done since and will say that I consider him a good guy; dedicated to creating valuable and correct references that people can collect and hold for many years. He goes out and tries to find new photos as opposed to just re-churning the same ones that have been printed before.

I would, at this time, buy anything he's written, if the subject interested me, without reservation. He uses less commas than me as well
... I was about to use it for a project involving 1/700 U.S. DDs - Now w/your update info i'll be able to continue the project w/confidence.

Appreciated!

Regards,
Tomt.
Last edited by txt808 on November 13th, 2011, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Keene
Ed Keene

November 14th, 2011, 1:36 am #6

Too stiff to wipe with and not good for much else.

Glen the Rotorhead
Glen the Rotorhead

November 17th, 2011, 2:19 am #7

David Doyle did a great job on this book and if you're building a model of the Arizona I highly recommend it. The book has great photos and makes a perfect companion to my copy of Stillwell's "Battleship Arizona". I "picked on" Dave awhile back about some captions in another book he did, so this is to make up for hurting his feelings. His new book on the FT-17?M-1917 tank is also very well done.
The color photos on pages 95 and 113 have convinced me to do mine in Measure 1.

November 18th, 2011, 6:42 am #8

Too stiff to wipe with and not good for much else.
Hiya Ed - Howgoezit?

That's kinda what i gathered from the earlier "review".

Would you have a recommendation for an affordable book that would cover the subject in detail?

Thank you for your time!

Regards, Tomt.