Spitfire question

Spitfire question

March 20th, 2012, 3:50 pm #1

Being that I am not too well-versed in Spitfires, I am wondering what the visible differences are between a late Mk. XIV and a Mk. XVIII in 1/72. I'm not seeing too many MK. XVIII kits out there in 1/72, but there seems to be plenty of Academy and Fujimi Mk. XIV's. Anyone have any feedback on the MPM and Ventura Mk. XVIII's?

March 20th, 2012, 4:19 pm #2

And I say "MAY" because it has been misunderstood often.

Other than making sure the rudder is ok, you could use a XIV to make an XVIII and vice versa.

Sorry - my Spitfire stash is in 1/48 so I can't help you as to 1/72 kits, but I think the Academy kit is a "high back" "C" wing and not a bubble canopy "E" wing. I believe the Fujimi kit is the bubble canopy "E" wing.

Just make sure you follow this post concerning the rudder and fin:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... topic=2415

March 20th, 2012, 4:32 pm #3

That helps a lot. I think I'll just pick up another Fujimi Mk. XIV and call it an XVIII.

March 20th, 2012, 5:03 pm #4

I used an Aerowaves rudder from Hannant's made for the purpose, and Aeromaster 48-527 set for the decals. I also scribed in camera ports on the underside.

You can read a build report here:

http://agapemodels.com/?p=5666

Quite a simple conversion, and I was quite happy with the results.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

March 20th, 2012, 5:27 pm #5

Being that I am not too well-versed in Spitfires, I am wondering what the visible differences are between a late Mk. XIV and a Mk. XVIII in 1/72. I'm not seeing too many MK. XVIII kits out there in 1/72, but there seems to be plenty of Academy and Fujimi Mk. XIV's. Anyone have any feedback on the MPM and Ventura Mk. XVIII's?
...the rudder of the XVIII had a deeper horn balance that required a corresponding section removed from the top of the fin, the same modification saw the XVIII pattern rudder fitted to XIVs (more often these days on warbirds) and some Mk.21s.

The wing of the XVIII wasn't fitted to carry the outboard guns and had no access panels for the bays.

Other than that and the paint and markings I reckon that would about cover it in 1/72nd.

The old SAM Publications Modellers Datafile on Griffon Spits contains a write up on making a XVIII but I don't have it to hand so I can't remember the details.

HTH.

March 20th, 2012, 5:42 pm #6

Regarding that kit... I've built it too... it's not a bad kit. Very short run. Shape looks a bit odd to my eye.

http://agapemodels.com/?p=3248

HTH!

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

March 20th, 2012, 9:29 pm #7

...the rudder of the XVIII had a deeper horn balance that required a corresponding section removed from the top of the fin, the same modification saw the XVIII pattern rudder fitted to XIVs (more often these days on warbirds) and some Mk.21s.

The wing of the XVIII wasn't fitted to carry the outboard guns and had no access panels for the bays.

Other than that and the paint and markings I reckon that would about cover it in 1/72nd.

The old SAM Publications Modellers Datafile on Griffon Spits contains a write up on making a XVIII but I don't have it to hand so I can't remember the details.

HTH.
If you're keen, this conversion for the Fujimi 1/72 FR.XIV is available. At least the photo ought to show you the differences from a Mk XIV rudder.

March 20th, 2012, 11:22 pm #8

my reading and books suggest,the big difference other then engine models, fuel carriage, the wings were stregthend, the center line bomb carier was stressed for a 1000lb'r and the .303 were replaced with .50's. Hope this'll help. Oh, and camra locations and number, 3.
Cheers.

March 21st, 2012, 2:45 am #9

Hi!
The picking for a really good late Spitfire with a Griffon engine. The Academy kit is oddly shaped. The Fujimi kits are also oddly shaped, esp. behind the cockpit.
The MPMs are hard to find, and not that great.
The Pegasus kits are basic.
The only kits which LOOK good are the ex-Ventura kits by Jay's models. They are not easy to build, and do need some help with details ( here is where the Acaedmy kit is wonderful....parts!).
We do need a new series of XIVs and XVIIIs in both 1/72nd and 1/48th....listening Airfix?

Bruce

March 21st, 2012, 2:54 pm #10

XVIII is "essentially" the same shape as a low-back XIV, but there are a number of detail differences if you can squint that well for 72nd. The most obvious WOULD be the larger rudder, which was indeed subsequently fitted to some FR.XIVs as well (postwar).

Others:
wing skin panel lines
camera ports and possibly access hatch locations (not sure about that)
position of beam approach antenna on belly aft of wing
hmm, what else?

bob
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know