Spitfire PR XIX marking questions

Spitfire PR XIX marking questions

March 19th, 2012, 10:33 pm #1

Would like to do a WW 2/invasion striped plane from the Airfix kit. 1st question is what size were the roundels, 2nd is about how wide the strips-I'm guessing 18"? Finally, would an invasion striped one likely have been unpressurized?

Realize Xtradecal (at least) makes a sheet but seems a waste to buy it just to use 1 of 12 sets of markings as I have no interest in post-war spitfires.

Thanks in advance for any help.

March 20th, 2012, 12:03 am #2

March 20th, 2012, 12:37 am #3

I have several that state of the 225 PR XIXs produced, only the first 25 and maybe the last few had no pressure cabin. The first operational sorties were flown in May 1944, and production concluded shortly after the end of the war, with the note that PR XIX had replaced all previous recon Spitfires by the end of the ware. While I might find it plausible that there were no pressure cabin machines at the time of the invasion, it seems rather unlikely that NO pressure cabin XIXs participated in WW2.

March 20th, 2012, 1:05 am #4

Would like to do a WW 2/invasion striped plane from the Airfix kit. 1st question is what size were the roundels, 2nd is about how wide the strips-I'm guessing 18"? Finally, would an invasion striped one likely have been unpressurized?

Realize Xtradecal (at least) makes a sheet but seems a waste to buy it just to use 1 of 12 sets of markings as I have no interest in post-war spitfires.

with 5" red and blue stripes, 2" white. Serials were 4" high, in white. RM643 "Z" (same size as the serial no., and just underneath it) was photographed, in 1944, with 18" fuselage invasion stripes, but none on the wings. It also had an oblique camera port, port side.
RM645 was photographed in Italy, in early 1945, with no stripes (usual for Italy,) and a white "I" at about 12" high, just aft of the roundel.
When the XIX was introduced, Supermarine said that 22 should be "non pressure cabin," and there were 22 with "RM" serials; it might be a coincidence, of course.

March 20th, 2012, 1:41 am #5

but nothing about 'pressurized vs non-pressurized'

also see:http://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/recce_ac/RAFAR.html

Tony

Chief Wiggum: Can't you people take the law into your own hands? I mean, we can't be policing the entire city!
Last edited by Snowbird3a on March 20th, 2012, 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2012, 1:51 am #6

with 5" red and blue stripes, 2" white. Serials were 4" high, in white. RM643 "Z" (same size as the serial no., and just underneath it) was photographed, in 1944, with 18" fuselage invasion stripes, but none on the wings. It also had an oblique camera port, port side.
RM645 was photographed in Italy, in early 1945, with no stripes (usual for Italy,) and a white "I" at about 12" high, just aft of the roundel.
When the XIX was introduced, Supermarine said that 22 should be "non pressure cabin," and there were 22 with "RM" serials; it might be a coincidence, of course.
if its true the non pressurized ones were model 389 and the pressurized ones 390s. I'll leave out the pressure bulkhead and carve off the intake.

March 20th, 2012, 2:08 am #7

I have several that state of the 225 PR XIXs produced, only the first 25 and maybe the last few had no pressure cabin. The first operational sorties were flown in May 1944, and production concluded shortly after the end of the war, with the note that PR XIX had replaced all previous recon Spitfires by the end of the ware. While I might find it plausible that there were no pressure cabin machines at the time of the invasion, it seems rather unlikely that NO pressure cabin XIXs participated in WW2.
I forget the publisher. It's currently packed away after a move. I recall being surprised by that as well.

March 20th, 2012, 4:03 am #8

"Spitfire, The History" by Morgan and Shacklady, pages 454 thru 463, there were 22 Mark 19 aircraft, serialed RM626 thru RM647, all with Griffon 65 engines that were not pressurised. RM626 was delivered to RAF Benson on May 16, 1944 and RM647 went to Benson on June 2, 1944.
Due to the expected appearance of German jet fighters the RAF was pressing for introduction of the Griffon powered PR Spitfire so these first 22 were expedited by conversion of MK.VIII or MK.XIV airframes on the line.
All other aircraft powered by Griffon 66 with cabin blower.

Bill Shuey

March 20th, 2012, 4:45 am #9

I forget the publisher. It's currently packed away after a move. I recall being surprised by that as well.
Among others, I have the SAM Publications book on the Griffon powered Spitfires. Despite their poor reputation, the earlier books in the Datafile series seemed pretty reliable. I wish Squadron would replace some of their non US subject books like their Spitfure one, but they seem to have given in to the 'if not US, it don't sell' mantra....

March 20th, 2012, 10:22 am #10

...flew operational sorties during the war, and is a pressurised XIX.

If the serial numbers posted below are correct, it would indicate that these aircraft did in fact see service in the war.

regards,
Jason