Spitfire Mk. IX

Spitfire Mk. IX

August 8th, 2012, 1:57 am #1

Here is my Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk. IX, which took me about a year and a half to build. It really shouldn't have taken me that long, but a lot happened in my life during that time, including meeting and marrying my wife, moving, and breaking both my arms!

I added the following aftermarket items:

BarracudaCast seat
BarracudaCast cockpit door
BarracudaCast cockpit upgrade set
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

The markings were painted using Montex masks and represent the plane flown by Wing Commander Edward Francis John "Jack" Charles, RCAF, OC Tangmere Wing, 1944. The stencils are decals from BarracudaCals.

Some in-progress photos of the cockpit can be seen here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/th ... IX+cockpit

Special thanks to my dad for buying me the kit for Christmas in 2009 and to my wife, Kirsten, for helping me with the photographs.

As always, questions, comments, or critiques are most welcome!

Justin

August 8th, 2012, 2:09 am #2

......what a beautiful, flawless build! Subtle weathering, great paint job....everything adds up to make this a winner! Congrats!

Cheers,

Gary Adams
IPMS #5495

"If flying were the language of man, then soaring would be its poetry". anon.

August 8th, 2012, 2:09 am #3

Here is my Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk. IX, which took me about a year and a half to build. It really shouldn't have taken me that long, but a lot happened in my life during that time, including meeting and marrying my wife, moving, and breaking both my arms!

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

The markings were painted using Montex masks and represent the plane flown by Wing Commander Edward Francis John "Jack" Charles, RCAF, OC Tangmere Wing, 1944. The stencils are decals from BarracudaCals.

Special thanks to my dad for buying me the kit for Christmas in 2009 and to my wife, Kirsten, for helping me with the photographs.

Justin

nm
Last edited by GarrardA on August 8th, 2012, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2012, 2:17 am #4

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

Justin

What a beauty.
I haven't build my Tamiya Spitfire yet, I would be very proud if it came out half as good.

Christian A.
Christian A.

August 8th, 2012, 2:37 am #5

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

Justin

to have a loving wife to help you. What would you have done if you were still single and broke both arms? Dread the thought.

Remember...... Happiness can be cured. See me for further details.

August 8th, 2012, 3:06 am #6

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

Justin

So, if I just break one of my arms, shoould I be able to get results half that good?

Superior performance.

An Old Soldier, but not faded away. Yet.

August 8th, 2012, 3:33 am #7

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

Justin

one of the most realistic builds I've seen in a long time.
VERY, VERY well done!

Mark

August 8th, 2012, 3:39 am #8

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

Justin

... a brilliant beauty of a Spit!

Jim Starling

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier --Colin Powell

August 8th, 2012, 4:02 am #9

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

Justin

Congrat's on a absolutely beautiful build - it's perfect! You have nailed this one - the weathering/filtering to me is just right. You should be suitably proud of a brilliant model. My Mk.VIII is about 3-4 down my list, so 3-4 years away at least, but your build is a total inspiration! I've saved a couple of your photos as examples of the right way to attempt weathering. What did you use - a combination of oils & pastels?

Cheers

Adam from "Lostralia"

August 8th, 2012, 4:45 am #10

BarracudaCast seat
MasterCasters wheels
Quickboost exhausts

Justin

uh, how did you create such realistic weathering, i.e. the faded and scratched and worn surfaces, especially near the wingroot?? Did you undercoat with metalizer and scratch off the paint?? This is just too good for words or immediate comment!