Spitfire Mk IX finished at last

Spitfire Mk IX finished at last

April 8th, 2012, 10:16 pm #1

Photos taken at the IPMS Seattle Spring Show on Saturday:

My one bit of advice is to be VERY careful and test fit the engine assembly before joining it to the fuselage/cockpit firewall. During test fitting, BE SURE to test fit all the magnetic panels and check for proper alignment. I wasn't adequately careful and my engine was tipped upwards very very slightly, but this resulted in noticeable gaps where the port and bottom cowl panes meet the fuselage. I had to add shims and trim/file/sand AFTER the model was otherwise fully painted and decalled to close those up.

Lots of Barracuda resing. Ian's sunglasses from TechStar

Hope you like it!

Alex in Seattle
Last edited by AlexTSeattle on April 8th, 2012, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2012, 10:38 pm #2

What decals did you use? I did notice a post-1968 style CAF maple leaf, but otherwise that looks great!!

April 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm #3

My one bit of advice is to be VERY careful and test fit the engine assembly before joining it to the fuselage/cockpit firewall. During test fitting, BE SURE to test fit all the magnetic panels and check for proper alignment. I wasn't adequately careful and my engine was tipped upwards very very slightly, but this resulted in noticeable gaps where the port and bottom cowl panes meet the fuselage. I had to add shims and trim/file/sand AFTER the model was otherwise fully painted and decalled to close those up.

Hope you like it!

Alex in Seattle
Did you glue the cowls closed?

Nice work, nice presentation, and nice weathering!

April 8th, 2012, 11:48 pm #4

Hope you like it!

Alex in Seattle
Nice model & display!

Steve
Last edited by scorvi12 on April 8th, 2012, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2012, 12:32 am #5

What decals did you use? I did notice a post-1968 style CAF maple leaf, but otherwise that looks great!!
I do notice that the Tamiya maple leaf is a bit different. I guess I didn't catch that during the build. Not too late to change that tho! Thanks!

Alex in Seattle

April 9th, 2012, 12:33 am #6

Did you glue the cowls closed?

Nice work, nice presentation, and nice weathering!
Top, bottom and port side are glued. I was not happy with the looseness of the magnetic assembly and couldn't get things to look right, and since I had the alignment problem I mentioned I was pretty much forced to it

Alex in Seattle

April 9th, 2012, 1:19 am #7

Hope you like it!

Alex in Seattle
about EN398.

Bruce

April 9th, 2012, 11:58 am #8

Hope you like it!

Alex in Seattle
He was absolutely right. How to loose brand new sunglasses to the huns?!!!
Great model indeed

April 9th, 2012, 12:00 pm #9

Hope you like it!

Alex in Seattle
He was absolutely right. How to loose brand new sunglasses to the huns?!!!
Great model indeed

April 9th, 2012, 2:09 pm #10

Hope you like it!

Alex in Seattle
s