Spitfire experts: Kitbashing Airfix Spitifre XII and IXc to make early XIV?

Spitfire experts: Kitbashing Airfix Spitifre XII and IXc to make early XIV?

April 25th, 2012, 4:05 pm #1

Hey guys,

I want to build an early Spitfire XIV like the one pictured below, and I'm not a fan of the Academy Spitfires.
As far as I can tell, I need the rudder and radiator housings from the IXc (or just use the IXc wing), need to remove the bulge between the rocker panels on the XII cowl (probably just use the Quickboost cowl), and obviously I'd just source a 5-blade prop from Quickboost.
Is there anything else significant that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
Brewer

Last edited by Brewer on April 25th, 2012, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 4:29 pm #2

the Academy fin and rudder are spot on as near as I can tell. Sadly that's the end of the good news regarding that kit IMHO. While taking that little bulge off the nose of your Mk.XII will likely pass I'm not sure that the Mk.XIV nose isn't a little different; possibly that scoop under the nose is different as well as overall nose length. Some "Boffinesque" detail master will likely give some definitive and better info soon. HTH, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

April 25th, 2012, 4:29 pm #3

Hey guys,

I want to build an early Spitfire XIV like the one pictured below, and I'm not a fan of the Academy Spitfires.
As far as I can tell, I need the rudder and radiator housings from the IXc (or just use the IXc wing), need to remove the bulge between the rocker panels on the XII cowl (probably just use the Quickboost cowl), and obviously I'd just source a 5-blade prop from Quickboost.

Thanks in advance!
Brewer

If your building in 1/72nd scale, I have a spare Areo Club, white metel (Tin) Prop. We can work out something. Also have a Quick Boost Griphon conversion piece..

April 25th, 2012, 4:32 pm #4

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
Brewer

The Spit XII, Seafire XV and Seafire XVII used a Griffon with a single-stage supercharger IIRC, and the Spit XIV and other Griffon Spits used an engine with a 2-stage supercharger which needed a longer nose. Kinda like going from a Spit V to a Spit IX, the nose is longer.

April 25th, 2012, 4:35 pm #5

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
Brewer

Thanks for the input guys, looks like it's more involved than I anticipated

April 25th, 2012, 4:36 pm #6

The Spit XII, Seafire XV and Seafire XVII used a Griffon with a single-stage supercharger IIRC, and the Spit XIV and other Griffon Spits used an engine with a 2-stage supercharger which needed a longer nose. Kinda like going from a Spit V to a Spit IX, the nose is longer.
and me before (ok waffled) have said the nose is clearly longer. cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

April 25th, 2012, 4:39 pm #7

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
Brewer

If money was no object and I like full-resin kits, I'd do a Planet Models 21 kitbash
Last edited by Brewer on April 25th, 2012, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 4:40 pm #8

trying to build the "prettiest of 'em all" (IMHO) Spitfires. If I were you I'd seek an Aeroclub "MK.21" conversion set (for the Airfix 46/47) and use that fuselage, and prop along with your "C" wing to make my Mk.XIV/XIX. cheers, LL

April 25th, 2012, 4:57 pm #9

If money was no object and I like full-resin kits, I'd do a Planet Models 21 kitbash
... and quite enjoyed it, shape issues aside. It goes together well, and is a very pleasant building experience. No fit issues at all that I recall. Not sure of any other options that are injection molded.

Morehttp://goo.gl/IY3P8

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Last edited by jonbius on April 25th, 2012, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

April 25th, 2012, 5:33 pm #10

Hi!
I have done a Spitfire FR.XIVe using an Airfix fuselage, Academy tail and ICM wings. The "highback" XIV is more difficult. The Academy nose will not go onto the ICM or other fuselage easily.
What I need to do is get another Airfix fuselage and try to graft a highback rear fuselage onto it.
OR, use the Aeroclub Mk.21 conversion set.
Other wise we need to wait for Airfix to do a decent XIV.

Bruce