Special Hobby French P-40 started...

Special Hobby French P-40 started...

Chuck Betz
Chuck Betz

March 30th, 2012, 11:32 pm #1

Still taken from film footage of the handover ceremony to the FAF.

Trial fit of the parts looks good!

Separate injection-molded cockpit side detail provided with the kit is a nice touch, but I elected to use and modify the True Details resin items for a more scale thickness. Also pictured are the kit-provided PE (including a reasonably accurate instrument panel, True Details wheels with the correct diamond tread, and an early 90's vintage Eduard PE sheet which is yielding its gear bay inserts (one already installed) and seat, which will need to be trimmed to depict the curved-style back. I will be receiving in the mail also some Quickboost exhaust stacks for the P-40B; which will represent the early-style ones found on this aircraft. These will be angled down to duplicate the look on the P-40E and early F's (I hope!)

I will try to post regular updates! So far this is the best kit from this company that I have worked on.

Best
Chuck

April 1st, 2012, 2:35 am #2

I've got one of these too and it looks very good in the box. I've got the Sky Decals sheet which gives you markings for two of the birds pictured. I've got a great color close up of one of these birds at Casablanca the same day that photo was taken. It looks like traditional desert camo with the old markings painted out in a darker brown...perhaps French paint? Chocolate? Or just fresh new British color? Hard to tell but most profiles don't get it right. Even in the B&W photo the color looks different/fresh in these areas.

I'm looking forward to your work on this one Chuck!!

Joe

April 1st, 2012, 3:37 am #3

I agree about the brown overspray; it may not be fresh DE. I plan to do Kostia Rozanoff's plane, which calls for a red-painted spinner. But all of the aircraft at the handover ceremony appear to have camouflage colors on the spinners.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... e-insignia
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... n-horsemen
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... nel-Willis
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... ear-troops

I have only 2 quibbles with the accuracy of the kit so far; the blue in the cockades and rudder flashes should be closer to "insignia blue"-- not French blue. Also the exhaust stacks are the round-type, not the fishtail type provided with the kit. Perhaps an e-mail to Sebastien might help clear things up a little.

Anyway, it is great having you at the Kickoff. One of these days I'll have to try to get to the Nats again.

April 1st, 2012, 4:13 am #4

...and thanks, it was really good to see the Santa Clara gang again. I hope you will make it to Nats again soon too, maybe next year in Denver?

I agree with your accuracy comments btw, the Sky Decals sheet seem to get it right though they don't give you the rudder flashes. The sheet gives you markings for a/c #7 "Cricket" and for Commandant Rozanoff's "Le Voutour".

It's interesting to note that two of these aircraft were flown to German held France by defectors soon after their delivery to the French! The remaining pilots went on to fight "with distinction".

Joe

April 1st, 2012, 9:35 pm #5

Separate injection-molded cockpit side detail provided with the kit is a nice touch, but I elected to use and modify the True Details resin items for a more scale thickness. Also pictured are the kit-provided PE (including a reasonably accurate instrument panel, True Details wheels with the correct diamond tread, and an early 90's vintage Eduard PE sheet which is yielding its gear bay inserts (one already installed) and seat, which will need to be trimmed to depict the curved-style back. I will be receiving in the mail also some Quickboost exhaust stacks for the P-40B; which will represent the early-style ones found on this aircraft. These will be angled down to duplicate the look on the P-40E and early F's (I hope!)

I will try to post regular updates! So far this is the best kit from this company that I have worked on.

Best
Chuck
That sure are a lot of extra's - and a great tip about the exhaust - I have to keep that in mind once I get around building mine, one of them will be in Kits World decals... but so many plans, so little time

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

April 1st, 2012, 9:52 pm #6

Great job on the Balliol, by the way. Kits World decals; are they any good?

Best
Chuck

April 1st, 2012, 10:57 pm #7

Best
Chuck
Im sure you will make a masterpiece of it! Looking with interest.

April 2nd, 2012, 3:03 am #8

Best
Chuck
Had no idea such beasts existed! Looking forward to your build!

Ah, that ancient eduard P-40 fret... I have that also. Mine is turning slightly blueish, but it is thinner than the stuff they produce now, and I must admit to liking their old photo etch stuff better than their newer issues.

April 2nd, 2012, 3:29 am #9

It turns out that P-40's had a canvas-lined wheel recess, no I guess I needn't have bothered to use the PE to detail that area. It looks cool, so I will probably paint them interior (Curtiss) green like the cockpit. You can see the blue tint creeping onto my sheet as well!

There were two French pilots who were secretly still loyal to the Vichy and, after the handover, flew their P-40's to German-occupied France. The rest served with distinction in N. Africa.

Best
Chuck

April 2nd, 2012, 3:54 am #10

Best
Chuck
...is going to be really pretty, Chuck. It'll be nice to see the different color scheme as well!

Keep posting.