Southerland, Barnes & Crump: Steely-Eyed Hell Hawks!

Southerland, Barnes & Crump: Steely-Eyed Hell Hawks!

March 28th, 2012, 2:31 am #1

Hyperscalers,

If you treat yourself to just one aircraft book this year make it "Thunderbolts of the Hell Hawks". I received my copy today and can tell you this book is a first class effort.

Last year I read "Hell Hawks!" by Robert Door and Thomas Jones. A great book, highly recommended. But despite the well written text it left me wanting for more pictures of the men and machines known as The Hell Hawks.

Roy's new book answers the mail! It is packed with photos of the pilots and their P-47s, artifacts, nose art, maps and best of all, beautiful color plates of the Hell Hawks' P-47s. From a modeler's standpoint, Roy's book fills in the blanks and answers all of the questions I had after reading Door and Jones' book.

Roy, your book leaves me wanting for just one thing; DECALS. I have several P-47 kits set aside and waiting for Hell Hawks markings. I would love to add "Miss Dream Girl", "Ma Cherie", "Screemin' Weemie" and of course, "Turnip Termite" to my collection. How about it?

Thanks,
Rich from Mojave

March 28th, 2012, 3:45 pm #2

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus

March 28th, 2012, 6:36 pm #3

Hyperscalers,

If you treat yourself to just one aircraft book this year make it "Thunderbolts of the Hell Hawks". I received my copy today and can tell you this book is a first class effort.

Last year I read "Hell Hawks!" by Robert Door and Thomas Jones. A great book, highly recommended. But despite the well written text it left me wanting for more pictures of the men and machines known as The Hell Hawks.

Roy's new book answers the mail! It is packed with photos of the pilots and their P-47s, artifacts, nose art, maps and best of all, beautiful color plates of the Hell Hawks' P-47s. From a modeler's standpoint, Roy's book fills in the blanks and answers all of the questions I had after reading Door and Jones' book.

Roy, your book leaves me wanting for just one thing; DECALS. I have several P-47 kits set aside and waiting for Hell Hawks markings. I would love to add "Miss Dream Girl", "Ma Cherie", "Screemin' Weemie" and of course, "Turnip Termite" to my collection. How about it?

Thanks,
Rich from Mojave
Really pleased that you like it.

One correction, though. This is not my book. It should be Barnes, Crump and Sutherland, in that order....

This is Don Barnes' book. It was his hard work and passion that made it happen. I wrote a small portion of the History, and I published and am selling it. John Crump did a huge amount or research in writing the balance of the book. May seem a fine point, but I do not want to take credit from the guys who really poured their hearts and 2 years of their lives into this amazing book.

As to the decals, they are in the works, and will have a lot of cool extras that will make them even more collectible and fun to use! These will be available in all three scales, and will cover a good number of schemes. If they sell well, a part 2 sheet is certainly a possibility!

Can I use your comments on the site and my blog?

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com
Last edited by roysutherl on March 28th, 2012, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.