Something I have not seen in HNL to often. A-10s I think they were Cs

Something I have not seen in HNL to often. A-10s I think they were Cs

April 28th, 2012, 6:43 am #1

I can't imagine Flying Trans Pac in a A-10, But 10 A-10s flew in with 6 KC-135 into HNL going to Hickiam. That must have been a long Flight. Sorry the pic is from a Cell Phone, so kinda blury

April 30th, 2012, 7:33 am #2

We did the trip in 2 hops, KMTN to March and March to Hickam. I went Enroute support and got to fly over in a -130! What fun!! But the islands were nice!!

Craig Baumer
IPMS Baltimore
A-10C Crew Chief MD ANG

April 30th, 2012, 10:34 am #3

when I worked in HNL, I talked to a crew off a KC-135 that took a flt of A-10's to Hawaii, From I think Alaska around 1989ish. He said the 135 had to fly at a slower cruise to stay with the A-10s.

April 30th, 2012, 9:14 pm #4

I can't imagine Flying Trans Pac in a A-10, But 10 A-10s flew in with 6 KC-135 into HNL going to Hickiam. That must have been a long Flight. Sorry the pic is from a Cell Phone, so kinda blury

back in 1984 i was in a squadron at barbers point and a10 guard units from bradley and barnes did training at barbers

May 7th, 2012, 8:05 pm #5

the UK to the US. Three or four refuelings over the North Atlantic, we'd fly ahead and circle back around meeting them, then turning to follow and once again overtake them. As soon as they went feet dry they headed for home on their own. We landed at Loring, as we were dry dry dry. Landed on fumes and with the cargo onboard, we needed to put the tail stand in as soon as the aircraft stopped.

The crew taxied in so gingerly so as not to rock the aircraft and lift the nose wheel off the ground. Everyone stood in the front of the aircraft while taxiing.

The US Customs inspector wouldn't let us off the plane to install the stand, so we had to slip out the exit door over the wing and do it covertly. Once he blessed our paperwork, we were able to refuel and turn and burn for Grissom. That was a l o n g flight.

It was a two tanker sortie, but our sister ship developed boom trouble right after the first refueling, then bee lined it for home. Funny thing is, they didn't write up the problem and that aircraft flew the next day after getting back with no issues noted either. We got screwed!