Something Fishy, The Big Fish

Something Fishy, The Big Fish

March 24th, 2010, 5:27 pm #1

This is not an original idea but was prompted by a conversion I saw here some time ago. I began with two kits -- these two kits

I used the forward 2/3 of the YaK fuselage with the aft 1/3 of the Rufe fuselage. The wings and floats came from the Rufe.

The main float center column was shortened to accommodate the jet engine. The outrigger floats had their struts beefed up to handle higher landing speeds. The nose cannons are actually brass barrels left over from a 1/350 ship build. I have about $30 tied up in the aircraft model. The base has about $60 tied up in materials - isn't that normal with any oddball build?

The water is Easy Cast clear casting resin done in three pours with lots of color in the first, some color in the second and no color in the third. Art moss provided a lot of the greenery including the floating seaweed pads. Model RR ballast was used for the sand which is done over a base of Styrofoam and Cellu-Clay.

The fish are actually charm bracelet pieces with the attachment rings removed then painted. The waves were created by working the resin with a butter knife about six hours into the cure process.

The aircraft finish is Alclad Aluminum with salt chipping followed by White Ensign Japanese paints. I did some experimenting with dot filtration in the weathering but that did not work out too well for me. I think I need more practice on that stuff.

This is my first attempt at water but certainly not my last. Hope you like it.

That plane SUCKS!!!...

March 24th, 2010, 6:21 pm #2

...but it doesn't blow. Wonder where all that hot air is expended? Interesting subject, nicely executed and a great looking diorama Swanny!

My bad...

March 24th, 2010, 6:24 pm #3

...I didn't see the exhaust on the underside.

Ya Hooked A Great One, Swanny!

March 24th, 2010, 6:33 pm #4

This is not an original idea but was prompted by a conversion I saw here some time ago. I began with two kits -- these two kits

I used the forward 2/3 of the YaK fuselage with the aft 1/3 of the Rufe fuselage. The wings and floats came from the Rufe.

The main float center column was shortened to accommodate the jet engine. The outrigger floats had their struts beefed up to handle higher landing speeds. The nose cannons are actually brass barrels left over from a 1/350 ship build. I have about $30 tied up in the aircraft model. The base has about $60 tied up in materials - isn't that normal with any oddball build?

The water is Easy Cast clear casting resin done in three pours with lots of color in the first, some color in the second and no color in the third. Art moss provided a lot of the greenery including the floating seaweed pads. Model RR ballast was used for the sand which is done over a base of Styrofoam and Cellu-Clay.

The fish are actually charm bracelet pieces with the attachment rings removed then painted. The waves were created by working the resin with a butter knife about six hours into the cure process.

The aircraft finish is Alclad Aluminum with salt chipping followed by White Ensign Japanese paints. I did some experimenting with dot filtration in the weathering but that did not work out too well for me. I think I need more practice on that stuff.

Wow - what a cool looking machine! Excellent job on the conversion, Swanny. The diorama base looks great and for a 'first try' on the water, you pulled it off big time! All sorts of nice touches here, including the smooth body work, the weathering and rust stains, the little fishies, the beach and foliage - there's too much to mention! Dayum!!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4 Connies Pt.5

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Amazing work and excellent diorama!

March 24th, 2010, 6:37 pm #5

Amazing work and excellent diorama!

Very Nice!

March 24th, 2010, 6:44 pm #6

Nicely done and very artistic. You have created a wonderful scene. Thank you for sharing it here.

Karen

Can´t wait

March 24th, 2010, 7:09 pm #7

I can imagine your next efforts to replicate water. Mate, this is a outstanding job!!!! Congratulations.

Best Regards

Daniel Iscold

Perfecto Swanny, I wish I could get water done like that..Well Done! nt

March 24th, 2010, 8:57 pm #8

"Max Flex" The key to Naval Success

Awesome Swanny!! Just awesome!

March 24th, 2010, 9:26 pm #9

Love the water too. Where did you source it from? I have something I want to try doing water with.

Cheers

Mike

"Who throws a shoe...honestly....you fight like a woman"

From a couple places

March 24th, 2010, 10:31 pm #10

The Bandora, that's what I call the aircraft, was from a conversion I saw some years ago and it stuck in my head. The water idea started with a dio that Ian Robertson did once then was developed further just by talking to other modelers who have done water. I'll be doing an article on my site before too much longer on this build.