Soliciting input on WW1 subjects (yes, you read that right!)

Soliciting input on WW1 subjects (yes, you read that right!)

June 9th, 2012, 12:04 pm #1

I just picked up a huge stack of 1/48 WW1 German stuff for a buck a kit last night at our club meeting (thanks Ben!!!), and now have the happy dilemma of planning how I want to attack that stack. Specifically, I am curious if there was ever a single unit which used Fokker Dr Is, Albatros D.IIIs and D.Vs, and Pfalz D.IIIs. My guess is no, but I simply don't know enough to make that call. I now have two Dr Is, two Pfalzes, three D.Vs and one D.III, and as I prefer to build to a theme, it would be great if I could pin down a unit which used all these at various points during the war.

Thanks much for any input!

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

June 9th, 2012, 12:25 pm #2

First things with arrestor hooks now this, I'm starting to worry about you

June 9th, 2012, 12:39 pm #3

I just picked up a huge stack of 1/48 WW1 German stuff for a buck a kit last night at our club meeting (thanks Ben!!!), and now have the happy dilemma of planning how I want to attack that stack. Specifically, I am curious if there was ever a single unit which used Fokker Dr Is, Albatros D.IIIs and D.Vs, and Pfalz D.IIIs. My guess is no, but I simply don't know enough to make that call. I now have two Dr Is, two Pfalzes, three D.Vs and one D.III, and as I prefer to build to a theme, it would be great if I could pin down a unit which used all these at various points during the war.

Lynn

I would say that there is a possibility that you could build all from one unit but... They may not have used them at the same time. For instance the Unit Von Ricthofen was in, he flew Albatros D-111 and I believe D-V then went to the Dr I . Not sure about them also flying the Pfalz. I am pretty sure there were other units that made similar transitions as newer types became available. This is just off the cuff as I do not have my references handy.

Mike

June 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm #4

Lynn

Lynn, good morning

I quickly thumbed thru Osprey's Berthold Geschwader this morning and can find photo evidence of the use of all versions but the D III quickly. The D III's usage is mentioned in the text, on page 9, but my cursory review didn't ID any visuals....

Hope the vector is helpful.....

Ed
Last edited by Swingwing on June 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2012, 2:08 pm #5

Lynn

some EZ line to rig that stable of WWI planes. I also highly recommend Bob's Buckles for the turn buckles. Bob's service is fast from the UK. I ordered and received mine within a few days. Bob even sent me an email notice that he was sending my order that included a photo of him dropping the envelope in the mail box! Now that's customer service.

http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

June 9th, 2012, 2:13 pm #6

Lynn

also used that mix of equipment.
Last edited by rlhart13 on June 9th, 2012, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2012, 5:25 pm #7

Lynn

Well, first theme that comes to mind is they are all German.

June 10th, 2012, 10:29 am #8

Lynn

Hello Lynn - I knew you'd come over to the light in due course!

We are launching two sets for Jasta 18 (the Red Noses) which will cover all your requirements. Very attractive schemes with- as you'd expect - red noses and blue or white rear fuselages. 24 Options on one set (6 x Albatros D.III, 11 Albatros D.V, 3 Pfalz D.III and 4x D.IIIa) and 16 on the other ( 10x Fokker D.VII, 4 Albatros D.Va and one each Pfalz D.IIIa and Fokker Dr.I) drop me an email and I'll send you the pdfs.

Rowan

June 10th, 2012, 1:37 pm #9

Well, first theme that comes to mind is they are all German.
Choose Jadgeschwader 1 for your WW1 kits,Jasta 4,6,10 and 11. Then Tie that in with Jadgeschwader 2 "Richthofen in the second unpleasantness, ME109s and FWs, and finally JG 71, Sabres, 104s, F4Fs. What a lovely theme!
RAGIII

June 10th, 2012, 3:26 pm #10

Hello Lynn - I knew you'd come over to the light in due course!

We are launching two sets for Jasta 18 (the Red Noses) which will cover all your requirements. Very attractive schemes with- as you'd expect - red noses and blue or white rear fuselages. 24 Options on one set (6 x Albatros D.III, 11 Albatros D.V, 3 Pfalz D.III and 4x D.IIIa) and 16 on the other ( 10x Fokker D.VII, 4 Albatros D.Va and one each Pfalz D.IIIa and Fokker Dr.I) drop me an email and I'll send you the pdfs.

Rowan
Just ask Rowan how much, and send the money now. Don't bother waiting to see the PDFs, you'll only be delaying the inevitable.

Mike