Softskin! Tamiya Tilly - RAF

Softskin! Tamiya Tilly - RAF

July 11th, 2012, 3:54 am #1

Just finished this tonight. Tamiya's 10hp Tilly in RAF markings.

The blue is Tamiya Medium Blue, the tires and interior are Testors Interior Black, the canvas cover is Humbrol 110 (Natural Wood). I thinned the Tamiya and Testor's with DTL 876 in my standard 50/50 mixture (gotta love consistancy!) and hand brushed the canvas. Details were picked out with Floquil Bright Silver and a "0" brush.

The body was washed with Citadel Badab Black to bring out definition in the grille and wheels, and I used a AK Interactive Streaking Grime wash on the canvas. I then used Testor's Ultra Gloss Clearcoat straight from the rattle can, and decaled on top of that. A final coat of Testors Dull Coat thinned 50/50 with DTL 876 was then airbrushed on.

The final step was to take the windshield and hand paint the trim/wipers with Interior Black and snap it into place.

Cool little truck!

Last edited by chrismansfield on July 11th, 2012, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
++++++++++++++++++++++++

July 11th, 2012, 8:37 am #2

Especially on the canvas cover!

July 11th, 2012, 12:33 pm #3

The blue is Tamiya Medium Blue, the tires and interior are Testors Interior Black, the canvas cover is Humbrol 110 (Natural Wood). I thinned the Tamiya and Testor's with DTL 876 in my standard 50/50 mixture (gotta love consistancy!) and hand brushed the canvas. Details were picked out with Floquil Bright Silver and a "0" brush.

The body was washed with Citadel Badab Black to bring out definition in the grille and wheels, and I used a AK Interactive Streaking Grime wash on the canvas. I then used Testor's Ultra Gloss Clearcoat straight from the rattle can, and decaled on top of that. A final coat of Testors Dull Coat thinned 50/50 with DTL 876 was then airbrushed on.

The final step was to take the windshield and hand paint the trim/wipers with Interior Black and snap it into place.

Cool little truck!

A lovely build, But unfortunately you are the latest victim of Tamiya's Tilly colour scheme scam.

This model of Tilly was never used by the RAF. And the other model Tillys that were used by the RAF (mainly Standards not Austin IIRC) should be be painted in either the two browns scheme or the later green black camo.The Blue scheme was abandoned by the RAF prior to mass use of the Tilly in early 1940 and was restored in 1948.

Tamiya based its in box colour scheme on a Restored Tilly that was catostophically incorrectly painted and marked...............!

Sorry!

Still a great build though!

Selwyn

July 11th, 2012, 12:33 pm #4

Cool little truck!

A lovely build, But unfortunately you are the latest victim of Tamiya's Tilly colour scheme scam.

This model of Tilly was never used by the RAF. And the other model Tillys that were used by the RAF (mainly Standards not Austin IIRC) should be be painted in either the two browns scheme or the later green black camo.The Blue scheme was abandoned by the RAF prior to mass use of the Tilly in early 1940 and was restored in 1948.

Tamiya based its in box colour scheme on a Restored Tilly that was catostophically incorrectly painted and marked...............!

Sorry!

Selwyn

July 11th, 2012, 12:34 pm #5

Cool little truck!

Sorry!

Selwyn

July 11th, 2012, 12:34 pm #6

Cool little truck!

Sorry!

Selwyn

July 11th, 2012, 12:34 pm #7

Cool little truck!

Sorry!

Selwyn

July 11th, 2012, 12:35 pm #8

Cool little truck!

Sorry!

Selwyn

July 11th, 2012, 12:35 pm #9

Cool little truck!

Sorry!

Selwyn

July 11th, 2012, 12:43 pm #10

Cool little truck!

to go with it? Would look great to have a Lanc crew piling out the back end getting ready for a long night. does Tamiya make any RAF aircrew such as they do the Navy pilots/aircrew set?
Andrew White