SOAPSTONE 1/72ND P-51

June 3rd, 2018, 12:07 am #1

This is my first scratch built model. It is a 1/72nd P-51 mustang carved from Soapstone.

Soapstone is a rock, and is actually where talcum powder comes from. It is very easy to carve and sand, but it is as soft as it is brittle

Life for this started as a big chunk if soapstone, and a 1/72nd scale line drawing. 
Slices of stone where cut into smaller slabs with one face sanded flat and smooth. 
The line drawing was photocopied, cut into major parts, fuse, wing half's, and tail planes and then glued onto the sanded stone.
Basic shape was then cut, and then sanded to profile. 
I must say that when I started, the very square slab looking fuse made me think i had done this all wrong. But when sanding started and I could see the shapes appearing I was getting pretty happy.

To assemble the fuse, wings and tail planes, a jig was made out of foam so that it all sat right and in their correct positions. 30 minute epoxy was used to glue them together along with with some masking tape to make sure they didn't move.
The wings are joined using toothpicks as spars, with holes drilled into the wing and fuse.
I lightly scribed in aileron, flap, rudder and elevator panel lines and did a quick wash. 
The whole model was then sealed and polished with floor polish. 

I wanted to use soapstone on the base, as i needed something heavy to keep it down, but felt that it might be too much stone, so these were covered with paddle pop sticks and craft sticks. The rod is a skewer.

This is what I started with.
talc-soapstone-79.jpg 20180603_095210[1].jpg 20180603_095214[1].jpg 20180603_095222[1].jpg 20180603_095231[1].jpg 20180603_095242[1].jpg
Regards,

Glen

sales@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

June 3rd, 2018, 1:59 am #2

Wow, sure looks better than the Starfix kit, which starts out only marginally better than your first image!

June 3rd, 2018, 10:47 pm #3

That's rather well done. Different to say the least.

June 4th, 2018, 1:49 am #4

Funny 10thumbs.

Cheers Malcolm. This project started of as something different from what you see now.
There was an article in one of R/C Boat mags of a bloke who had built probably half of the US Navy in craft sticks, and with amazing detail and accuracy.
So whilst at my local craft shop, which tends to take a lot of my money, I started looking at their bags of sticks and paddle pop sticks, with the mind going into overdrive as to what I could do, etc.

This then lead me to finding not only blocks of soapstone, but also preshaped items, like dolphins, which just needed rounding of and final shaping.
Some research later, and this is what we get.
Regards,

Glen

sales@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

June 5th, 2018, 1:04 pm #5

Very nice. Here in Brasil the State of Minas Gerais is the "land" of the soap stone. We can find thousands of artisan items to buy and collect. It would be a nice special theme prize in any modelling contest!

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=pedr ... 80&bih=890