So will the Monogram B-17G become rare and higher priced now

April 15th, 2018, 5:26 pm #1

Due to them going out of business, I just wonder if this kid will continue to be common on the shelves of places like hobby lobby.

Most likely not, but...............

April 15th, 2018, 6:54 pm #2

Look for the prices to double. Example: 1/48th P-61 which was originally a Monogram mould. Revell Germany price is almost twice that of Revell USA.

Speculation but you shouldn't have to worry....

April 15th, 2018, 7:23 pm #3

Due to them going out of business, I just wonder if this kid will continue to be common on the shelves of places like hobby lobby.
Who knows? Yeah the P-61 is a good recent example as is the1/48 B-1, which was at least double the price if not triple in a Revell Germany box. However Revell A.G. puts out new tool 1/32 kits that retail for very reasonable prices. So now that molding and such is sitting with them we will see what happens. I have all the Monogram aircraft kits, several of many of them, that they ever made! Also many of the Venice Revell kits, so I am okay...

Even if they triple, quadruple, or whatever to the price. all you need to do is go look on eBay or a model show and you will find Monogram and Revell kits trading at fair prices all day long! There are so many on the secondary market, that I don't think anybody should have to worry. The only time a Revellogram or Monongram kit goes for bigger money is when it's been out of production for several years and it becomes hard to obtain but, then wait long enough and they will repop it, usually right before I decide to sell mine
Lol!!!!

Cheers
Max Bryant
Last edited by takenname1 on April 16th, 2018, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

Many of the sailing ship kits are HTF...

April 15th, 2018, 8:16 pm #4

I agree about most of the aircraft.....

Of the big 1/96 scale sailing ship kits, only the USS Constitution has been consistently available. Several years ago, it did appear in a R-G box, at $130 vs. $80 for the Revell US edition.

Might be a while before we see the Kearsarge or CSS Alabama again....

It could also be a long time before we see another release of the Cutty Sark, as it was a Jan 2018 release.

The Constitution and Cutty Sark are pretty easy to find second hand, though. With some patient shopping, I found my copy of the Constitution (in a really crappy box) for $20 at a show, and a copy of the original Cutty Sark for $30. But the going rate for the Civil War ships are $150-$225 now.....

Not at all indicated they are out of business. They have a new owner.

April 15th, 2018, 9:39 pm #5

A German company bought Revell and Revell Germany
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub

HTF? Try Aurora's Hartford

April 15th, 2018, 10:56 pm #6

I agree about most of the aircraft.....

Of the big 1/96 scale sailing ship kits, only the USS Constitution has been consistently available. Several years ago, it did appear in a R-G box, at $130 vs. $80 for the Revell US edition.

Might be a while before we see the Kearsarge or CSS Alabama again....

It could also be a long time before we see another release of the Cutty Sark, as it was a Jan 2018 release.

The Constitution and Cutty Sark are pretty easy to find second hand, though. With some patient shopping, I found my copy of the Constitution (in a really crappy box) for $20 at a show, and a copy of the original Cutty Sark for $30. But the going rate for the Civil War ships are $150-$225 now.....
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

The molds are probably in that warehouse next to the Lost Ark

So true....

April 16th, 2018, 2:58 am #7

I built that one as a kid- one year I got the Hartford, another year I got the Whaler Wanderer. They both had one piece injected yards and sails - they weighed a ton, were always falling off.

Once in a blue moon, I’ll see the Hartford on eBay, but way too pricey for what really isn’t that good of a kit.....

Still a lot of used kits available on the secondary market

April 17th, 2018, 2:18 am #8

New boxings are going for over thirty bucks already, retail. But if you look at shows, or on eBay, you can get a older boxing for much less.

The Monogram B-17G has been in production near continuously since 1975

April 18th, 2018, 6:02 pm #9

There must be tens of thousands of unbuilt kits in stashes around the USA if not the entire world. It's really unlikely that this kit will become hard to acquire at anytime in the foreseeable future. Although the popularity of the subject makes me wonder why no other company has produced a modern replacement.

The only version of the Monogram B-17G that's hard to find is the ProModeler version, which had the Cheyenne tail, photo-etch, and other parts that have not been included in any other release of the kit. This is not a kit that you need to worry about being able to find.
Last edited by VMA131Marine on April 18th, 2018, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.