So, is now Airfix on the right track?

So, is now Airfix on the right track?

July 30th, 2012, 8:41 pm #1

Simple! What do you guys think! Are these great old guys on the right trail? What could they do better?

July 30th, 2012, 8:47 pm #2

Very good kits at extremely reasonable prices; excellent value for money.

The only thing they need to do is fire the guy who does the panel lines, and their kits would be even better.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

July 30th, 2012, 8:50 pm #3

Simple! What do you guys think! Are these great old guys on the right trail? What could they do better?
I speak only for myself, but, I will NOT pay 2012 prices for 1960's models. I also will not gamble with my money. Too many times, Airfix has come up short. I was really really excited a while back when Airfix did the BAe Hawk. I thought, finally, I can toss out the premiere kit. The airfix kit was no better. All of the folks who love airfix were fast to interject that it was a model designed for the masses, it was over simplified so it could be sold en mass. whatever....

I have three of the Airfix Trafalgar kits, and it's a cruddy model for 12 bucks.

"Bruce Springsteen? I LOVE him! He's like the American version of Bryan Adams!"

_Robin Sherbotsky

July 30th, 2012, 9:23 pm #4

"Hits" everyone, and in 1/72.

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

July 30th, 2012, 9:25 pm #5

I speak only for myself, but, I will NOT pay 2012 prices for 1960's models. I also will not gamble with my money. Too many times, Airfix has come up short. I was really really excited a while back when Airfix did the BAe Hawk. I thought, finally, I can toss out the premiere kit. The airfix kit was no better. All of the folks who love airfix were fast to interject that it was a model designed for the masses, it was over simplified so it could be sold en mass. whatever....

I have three of the Airfix Trafalgar kits, and it's a cruddy model for 12 bucks.

"Bruce Springsteen? I LOVE him! He's like the American version of Bryan Adams!"

_Robin Sherbotsky
as are the Spitfire XII, Seafire XVII, and the list offered by Mike above.

In short, Airfix has their house in order, and are turning out some seriously excellent kits.

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

July 30th, 2012, 9:29 pm #6

Absolutely they are on the right track! Great selections, low prices, high quality, great communication via social media. What more can be said.

Mark

July 30th, 2012, 9:57 pm #7

"Hits" everyone, and in 1/72.

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Add the A6M Zero in there, a hit for sure.

July 30th, 2012, 10:22 pm #8

Hornby is handling their acquisition right. I wish Hobbico would do the same with Revell/Monogram. I just hope the Ventura showed
them that a success with a new tool kit is viable to keep doing new stuff and not just re-pops! Although I wouldn't be mad if they ever bless me with an SSP of the XLS-01 ....

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"
Last edited by nametaken on July 30th, 2012, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 30th, 2012, 10:32 pm #9

The new incarnation of Airfix is a winner and deservedly so. I bought the 48th scale Mk XII Spitfire at the weekend and it's a beautifully detailed model at a very appealing price.

Airfix have avoided the trend by certain manufacturers to over-engineer their kits and charge stupidly high prices for us to have the privilege of buying them.

Airfix was always about affordable kits for the modelling masses and bravo to them for continuing this, and keeping their prices fair while upping the quality.

I have been building Airfix kits since around 1957 and it's reassuring to know I started on Airfix and can still buy them. They are like a lifelong hobby friend.

I just wish Monogram had been allowed to remain intact and have the same sort of development vision that was applied to Airfix. Imagine what 21st Century Monogram kits would be like!

My one wish for Airfix is that they develop a 1/32 scale line and focus on classic British designs- Gloster Gladiator, Hawker Fury, Hurricane 1, Spitfire I, Typhoon, Mosquito etc...

The 1/24th scale line is really out of step with current scale fashions and chews up a lot of shelf space but suffers from lack of selections for the modeller- Airfix and a few Trumpeter kits and that's almost it.

Airfix applying their new technology and vision to a 1/32 scale line of classic British subjects should be a winner.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

July 30th, 2012, 11:01 pm #10

They have not yet got to the Promised Land. Two steps forward, perhaps one back. It's still progress.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother