So if the current Tamiya "rumours" are completely correct-

So if the current Tamiya "rumours" are completely correct-

April 13th, 2012, 5:56 pm #1

to this modeller it seems odd that Chinese companies carry on making scores of re-pops of sorely needed kits very badly, yet the mighty Tamiya chooses to cover a subject that is of dubious mass appeal and is already well served in 1/48 scale.

So-

Having four or five Hasegawa 1/48 P-40 series kits on the go right now, although I love the detail and the possibilities, the breakdown engineering of this kit really is a bear, and here Tamiya's skills could have been put to much better use IMO.

Can anyone come up with other examples of where they could have really scored over a fairly modern kit- as opposed to a pure "I want Tamiya to do a...********" ?
Last edited by RacerRich on April 13th, 2012, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 6:02 pm #2

Tamiya does what Tamiya wants....or more specifically; what MR TAMIYA wants.

Always been that and always will (perhaps when Mr Tamiya is gone it may change but that is for the future to know)

Tamiya's kit strategy has worked well for them for the past 35 years. They see no reason to change.

April 13th, 2012, 6:13 pm #3

to this modeller it seems odd that Chinese companies carry on making scores of re-pops of sorely needed kits very badly, yet the mighty Tamiya chooses to cover a subject that is of dubious mass appeal and is already well served in 1/48 scale.

So-

Having four or five Hasegawa 1/48 P-40 series kits on the go right now, although I love the detail and the possibilities, the breakdown engineering of this kit really is a bear, and here Tamiya's skills could have been put to much better use IMO.

Can anyone come up with other examples of where they could have really scored over a fairly modern kit- as opposed to a pure "I want Tamiya to do a...********" ?
Tamiya is like the Airfix or Revell of Japan.  I doubt many modelers in Japan bought AccMin kits even at their peak of operations.  Plenty of Japanese modelers will buy whatever Tamiya makes just because Tamiya makes it, just like I'm sure quite a few folks in the English-speaking world bought Revell's PV-1 just because it was a new Revell kit.  To most Japanese modelers the AccMin kit is just a 20-year old kit from a now-defunct company they never heard of, and if they did it was a high-priced exotic foreign import (you ever see what Revell's PV-1 goes for in Japan?) 

I think Tamiya bases their decisions on the domestic market, and whatever they get out of the English-speaking world and Europe is just icing on the daifuku. 

April 13th, 2012, 6:20 pm #4

Japan is Tamiya's primary market. That's what they cater to. the rest of the world is just gravy for them.

April 13th, 2012, 6:35 pm #5

So-

...but Tamiya don't make kits for the US, Tamiya make kits for the home market first and foremost, the rest of the world gets whats leftover.

They've always done that, the market they are looking to service is domestic, this has been discussed over and over again on these forums, I'm surprised that some people still don't get it!

Italeri re-boxings that are 'expensive' in the rest of the world? Thats because they're cheaper to bang out to the domestic market that way and were never intended for the global market.
Last edited by Les_J99 on April 13th, 2012, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 6:39 pm #6

Japan is Tamiya's primary market. That's what they cater to. the rest of the world is just gravy for them.
...backward thinking is that ? I'm sure Mr. Tamiya has the final
word on what is produced but I doubt he's sitting in his office
thinking, hmm, let's do another P-40, yeah that's the ticket !
Tamiya surely has marketing staff that make proposals and he makes
the final decision.

April 13th, 2012, 6:49 pm #7

...but Tamiya don't make kits for the US, Tamiya make kits for the home market first and foremost, the rest of the world gets whats leftover.

They've always done that, the market they are looking to service is domestic, this has been discussed over and over again on these forums, I'm surprised that some people still don't get it!

Italeri re-boxings that are 'expensive' in the rest of the world? Thats because they're cheaper to bang out to the domestic market that way and were never intended for the global market.
Then again why is there is BIG Tamiya USA op?

And the Japanese really want a Soviet aircraft? Really?

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
Last edited by modeldad on April 13th, 2012, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 6:51 pm #8

So-

D.520
Beaufighter
Meteor
Betty
Swordfish
Storch

and but for the folded wings and dropped flaps, the Corsiars.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

April 13th, 2012, 6:53 pm #9

How come Mr. Tamiya doesn't make more Japanese aircraft?? I wonder what the Japanese market would do with a 1/48 scale Mitsubishi G3M attack bomber.

Bill Shuey

April 13th, 2012, 6:54 pm #10

worldwide has always been pretty disappointing.

AM lost their shirts on the Yak 1 and the Sturmovik. Inital sales are OK, but after that, they become shelf sitters. Not that this will stop Tamiya. Reportedly, their Rex kit was a total dog, even in the home market.

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com