So has anyone started building their Firefly yet????

So has anyone started building their Firefly yet????

May 15th, 2012, 4:20 am #1

Hi there,

Caught up with Monsewer Graham Carter at our local Sydney (APMA) club meeting and he has begun ... has anyone.. anyone done something in the way of manipulating bits of Airfix Firefly plastic? and when do we get to see some photos???? and no I have not begun mine... still researching and reading and looking at photos and and and - well rocrastinating!

regards

Simon

PS I couldn't log on to the Forum for the last week.... I was using Firefox without success I was getting seriously frustrated..

May 15th, 2012, 7:15 am #2

Been knocking back the rivets, putting bulkheads in the fuselage
and knocked a wing together.
What have the rest of you been doing besides sitting on your butts?

May 15th, 2012, 7:25 am #3

Hi there,

Caught up with Monsewer Graham Carter at our local Sydney (APMA) club meeting and he has begun ... has anyone.. anyone done something in the way of manipulating bits of Airfix Firefly plastic? and when do we get to see some photos???? and no I have not begun mine... still researching and reading and looking at photos and and and - well rocrastinating!

regards

Simon

PS I couldn't log on to the Forum for the last week.... I was using Firefox without success I was getting seriously frustrated..
bits for the wheel wells and interior and working out with a good mate Danny Jackett, just how to
a. widen the fuselage by between .5 and 1.5 mm,
b. increase the depth of the nose by around 1.5mm in the area below the exhausts, and
c. increase wing-chord out-board of the fold line by about 2mm.
Will post shots, hopefully about the same time that Danny puts his wonderful work up for viewing.
Additionally as Dannielle has pointed out, the Mk5 has 'squashy' exhausts that are nowt like the ones in the kit while the Mk4 ( which I am building) has the straight pipes as provided , although in reality they are much more substantial than those in the kit. I propose to cast my own copies of the CMK Westland Welkin exhausts which appear to be just right. The Special Hobby kits all have the correct exhausts for the Mk 5 and 6 but they have also included these in the T2 which is incorrect as this aircraft was based on the Mk1 chinned version which had the straight pipes! I'll be using these on my AIrfix U9 in its fabulous Cream/Red scheme.

C'mon chaps/chapettes - lets see some of these Fireflies . .

May 15th, 2012, 7:26 am #4

Hi there,

regards

Simon

Dannielle must have been typing at the same time I was!! n/t
Last edited by gcarter17 on May 15th, 2012, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2012, 7:40 am #5

Been knocking back the rivets, putting bulkheads in the fuselage
and knocked a wing together.
What have the rest of you been doing besides sitting on your butts?
So where are the photos?

May 15th, 2012, 9:32 am #6

Dannielle must have been typing at the same time I was!! n/t
The very nice Aeromaster decals for the AS.5. I'm also tempted by having a go at the TT.4 but need some guidance/pix on the drogue/vane that sits under the nose.

I managed to get a boxing with the Swordfish Trust logo on the front. It has oiptions for the R Neth Navy and the RN Historic Flight machine. I was at Flying Legends working a trade stand the day it went in killing both crew. It was one of the loveliest looking aircraft parked on the apron that day.

Eityher way there's a set of Netherlands decals going spare of anyone wants them.

May 15th, 2012, 5:49 pm #7

Hi there,

regards

Simon

Hey all, I've started my Firefly as well. It's not a OOB build, but a much-needed makeover of a kit I built in the mid-80's. I've started pulling the thing apart, and I've rounded up a RCN decal sheet. Will post pics soon!
Best...Ted...

Current Builds:

RCAF Trimotor Pt. 1

Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2; Postwar RCAF Pt. 3

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

May 15th, 2012, 9:40 pm #8

So where are the photos?
My dog ate them, honest

May 15th, 2012, 11:55 pm #9

A can of some quality dog food might suffice next time..

May 17th, 2012, 9:26 am #10

Hi there,

regards

Simon

Yes, as Graham has stated I have been hacking and cutting and wondering what I have started , Dannielle you evil temptress you tricked me !. Actually this is good, the modelling bug was a bit dormant and this build has me playing with all sorts of options. I am seriously trying to figure how to build the RAN 2 seat trainer and am playing with casting and scratch building and all sorts of stuff ( the qualifying word is 'playing' a lot of learning how not to do things!!)
Next step to learn about digital camera's and posting on the forum on a peddle power computer ( AKA old!)
DannyJ