SMER kit

SMER kit

March 17th, 2012, 2:21 pm #1

Hi as the title says I have just had the fortune? to buy a SMER kit of the S.M. 79 Sparviero kit. It was always a favorite of mine from when I was a kid and bought the old Airfix 1:72 kit. It seems to me that this kit has jusy been scaled up from that little or no detail poor cockpit etc, as a tank man I would like to know if this kit is salvageable or what? What would be the cost etc I'm in the UK, worlds most expensive place to buy kits or aftermarket stuff, anyway thanks in advance. Alfie

March 17th, 2012, 2:26 pm #2

Well. How could it be said in a non disturbing way
Maybe the worst kit ever made. Very useful box for loft insulation. Otherwise, like a toothache in a rainy night.

Kind regards...

March 17th, 2012, 2:29 pm #3

That, my dear friend, was what I thought someone might say. Oh dear looking for your youth isn't fun any more. Back to the tank world.Alfie

March 17th, 2012, 2:33 pm #4

Well. How could it be said in a non disturbing way
Maybe the worst kit ever made. Very useful box for loft insulation. Otherwise, like a toothache in a rainy night.

Kind regards...
1/50th, perhaps. Originally Aliplast, IIRC n/t

March 17th, 2012, 2:57 pm #5

It sure ain't pretty. The one I built in the early 70s had plastic about the hardness of bakelite

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

March 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm #6

Hi as the title says I have just had the fortune? to buy a SMER kit of the S.M. 79 Sparviero kit. It was always a favorite of mine from when I was a kid and bought the old Airfix 1:72 kit. It seems to me that this kit has jusy been scaled up from that little or no detail poor cockpit etc, as a tank man I would like to know if this kit is salvageable or what? What would be the cost etc I'm in the UK, worlds most expensive place to buy kits or aftermarket stuff, anyway thanks in advance. Alfie
plus its not 1/48 but 1/50

March 17th, 2012, 3:11 pm #7

Anyone want a Smer S.M.79 from SMER going cheap LOL

March 17th, 2012, 3:36 pm #8

A challenging kit always broadens ones own talents.

Mark Matzen did a fantastic demonstration with this kit here...

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/axis ... tzan79.htm

Or out of box with simple enhancement as Paul Murphy did...

Have a bit fun while modeling...

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
Last edited by Allan31 on March 17th, 2012, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 6:30 pm #9

1/50th, perhaps. Originally Aliplast, IIRC n/t
ARTIPLAST it is; David is correct and my memory is failing more than I realize n/t

March 17th, 2012, 7:21 pm #10

I have several of the Artiplast/Smer SM.79. The last boxing I bought was several years ago. The box has a color splash exclaiming 'Super Decal' and they are!

My sentiments on the SMER 79 as well as other SMER/Artiplast kits is this. When I got them they were the only game in town for those particular subjects in 1/48ish scale. If I wanted a contest model then I would of approached them like I was building a vacuform kit. That is that I add any and all detail to bring it up to contest level. If I wanted a shelf sitter then it was a matter of building it cleanly and painting it well....

A SMER kit is what you make of it....

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"