slow progress- Box of Doom Birdcage Corsair..

slow progress- Box of Doom Birdcage Corsair..

August 2nd, 2009, 1:01 am #1

If anyone can give me a tip on posting from Photobucket I'd appreciate it .. I'll try again tomorrow .. til' then, here's some pics of a bit of progress. All the great stuff on the site makes me want to get some paint going but time hasn't been permitting. Tom.
I flushed in gun camera, ready to mask for paint.
I was happy w/ the gear so far. Brass gun tubes look a little small I think.
Started gunsight and armored glass and Futured windscreen still need actuator rods for trim tabs.
All comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks, Tom (ps, did fix the foot slot in the right flap, thanks again. T.)

Richard Kern
Richard Kern

August 2nd, 2009, 4:44 am #2

Tom,
how do you keep from knocking off the landing gear as you paint, decal, and weather the aircraft? I always keep mine offf till last, but I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks,
Richard

August 2nd, 2009, 12:29 pm #3

I needed some immediate gratification! Tom

August 2nd, 2009, 6:11 pm #4

If anyone can give me a tip on posting from Photobucket I'd appreciate it .. I'll try again tomorrow .. til' then, here's some pics of a bit of progress. All the great stuff on the site makes me want to get some paint going but time hasn't been permitting. Tom.
Started gunsight and armored glass and Futured windscreen still need actuator rods for trim tabs.
All comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks, Tom (ps, did fix the foot slot in the right flap, thanks again. T.)
The landing gear struts look excellent. Don't think the gun barrels look too bad either. Keep in mind the barrels were staggered back pretty far into the wing.

Cheers,

david

August 3rd, 2009, 5:18 pm #5

The build looks great so far. Since you ask for comments, I'll point out that as far as I know (and I'd be glad to hear if I'm wrong), there never was an F4U of any variant that had green main landing gear bays. Early F4U-1s were "salmon pink", later they were white until the GSB scheme, when they were GSB. I don't know if this information is too late to be of use to you, or if you have references to the contrary.

Cheers!

Stuart

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 3rd, 2009, 9:22 pm #6

I can't abosolutely authenticate it's accuracy, BUT the SS "Fighting Colors" book clearly shows green main gear wells in their artist renderings of the F4U-1A. Is that right? I don't know, but it's been a good reference for 20yrs, and I'd bet that it happened at some time with the Corair. After all, that "white" in the wells was the bottom color applied over ANOTHER color (salmon, green, ??) Cheers!

August 3rd, 2009, 10:00 pm #7

The build looks great so far. Since you ask for comments, I'll point out that as far as I know (and I'd be glad to hear if I'm wrong), there never was an F4U of any variant that had green main landing gear bays. Early F4U-1s were "salmon pink", later they were white until the GSB scheme, when they were GSB. I don't know if this information is too late to be of use to you, or if you have references to the contrary.

Cheers!

Stuart
It's not too late .. and .. I did like the color of Brett's colaboration .. so far can't substantiate either in color but I'm gonna look tonight. Thanks. Tom

August 3rd, 2009, 10:01 pm #8

I can't abosolutely authenticate it's accuracy, BUT the SS "Fighting Colors" book clearly shows green main gear wells in their artist renderings of the F4U-1A. Is that right? I don't know, but it's been a good reference for 20yrs, and I'd bet that it happened at some time with the Corair. After all, that "white" in the wells was the bottom color applied over ANOTHER color (salmon, green, ??) Cheers!

August 3rd, 2009, 10:02 pm #9

The landing gear struts look excellent. Don't think the gun barrels look too bad either. Keep in mind the barrels were staggered back pretty far into the wing.

Cheers,

david
Gonna use the next size tubing for the 50's. Appreciate the comments. T.

August 3rd, 2009, 11:46 pm #10

I still haven't seen a color photo but I've seen enough to try to concoct a salmon color.
A quote that sounded good (forgive the para-phrasing plagerism) ... "Salmon is a pale pinkish/brown primer made by mixing Indian Red pigment with Zinc Chromate Yellow. The closest Munsell match is 2.5 YR 6/8 or between FS 32276 and FS 32356". Thanks for the tip. Tom