Since we're talking F-4Es (see below) , question on "gun-gas exit" on stbd upper side ...

Since we're talking F-4Es (see below) , question on "gun-gas exit" on stbd upper side ...

May 23rd, 2012, 12:01 am #1

... of some F-4Es.

Have noticed this item on some E models. Any ideas on how it worked? Was it fixed permanently opened, or was it capable of being closed?

Any ideas on how to form one in 72nd scale?

TiA & Regards,

Tomt.

May 23rd, 2012, 4:13 am #2

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

May 23rd, 2012, 6:42 am #3

Actually, it to help PURGE gun gasses, as it faces into the airstream.

May 23rd, 2012, 12:53 pm #4

... of some F-4Es.

Have noticed this item on some E models. Any ideas on how it worked? Was it fixed permanently opened, or was it capable of being closed?

TiA & Regards,

Tomt.

It pops open when the gun is fired. I think it opens on the ground when the engines are shut down (hydraulic pressure?). Notice in Dave's photos where it's open when the jet's shut down and closed while it's taxiing. I'm sure somebody who know F-4s will be along soon with more info.

Cheers!

Ben

May 23rd, 2012, 8:16 pm #5

Actually, it to help PURGE gun gasses, as it faces into the airstream.
Just the word I was looking for, Lewin - Mahalo! n/t.

May 23rd, 2012, 8:19 pm #6

... of some F-4Es.

TiA & Regards,

Tomt.

Hello,

Iknow it opens on the ground at rest so all my 1/72nd scale have(had)them..

Either three (very) small thin plastic card cuts (two triangles one rectangular) then glued in right order or a [ shaped thin plastic strip (evergreen) cut in shape as on this Greek Air Force 1/72nd scale Hasegawa model..

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

HTH

Cheers

Eric B.

May 23rd, 2012, 8:32 pm #7

It pops open when the gun is fired. I think it opens on the ground when the engines are shut down (hydraulic pressure?). Notice in Dave's photos where it's open when the jet's shut down and closed while it's taxiing. I'm sure somebody who know F-4s will be along soon with more info.

Cheers!

Ben
... all the parked -E's have the purge door open, even the cacooned ones at D.M.

Strange what one can overlook. I've been around the Phantom for ages and never noticed this. Scary!

Thank you for the (eye-opening) info!

Regards,
Tomt.

May 23rd, 2012, 8:36 pm #8

Hello,

Iknow it opens on the ground at rest so all my 1/72nd scale have(had)them..

Either three (very) small thin plastic card cuts (two triangles one rectangular) then glued in right order or a [ shaped thin plastic strip (evergreen) cut in shape as on this Greek Air Force 1/72nd scale Hasegawa model..

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

HTH

Cheers

Eric B.
... shot soonest.

(Tiny little devil in 72nd, eh?)

Thank you for sharing and for the great pics!

Regards,
Tomt.

May 23rd, 2012, 11:41 pm #9

Cheers!

Ben
I seem to recall reading that somewhere (Aerofax Datagraph?) and thinking it was an odd connection. Definitely not to do with the loss of hydraulic pressure.

May 24th, 2012, 6:30 am #10

Thanks, Michigan Pete - Appreciated! n/t.