Simple Green...a must for acrylic users

Simple Green...a must for acrylic users

March 22nd, 2012, 11:57 pm #1

I've heard others recommend this stuff for cleaning airbrushes, prepping plastic parts and so forth. Finally grabbed some and must say it is everything people have advertised this as. You can get a gallon at Home Depot for $10. Put some in an ultrasonic cleaner and dropped in my airbrush parts...it came out looking essentially new (was a heavily used airbrush at that). Nothing I had used before worked this well. Later I used it to prepare some resin parts removing the mold release. I sprayed the arcylics (Model Master in this case) straight on the resin and it's hold on like a rock (or at least like I had used a laquer based primer).

I had previously used Windex/generic equivelent that included ammonia. It worked well, but if you're a heavy user of acrylics give this a try for your cleaning solution. It's fantastic. Even if you don't use acrylics, it may be worth it just for cleaning plastic and resin parts.

While any cleaning solution is meant to be kept out of eyes, not swallowed, etc, this stuff doesn't appear to be any less benign than Windex from the warning labels on it.
Last edited by ESzczesniak on March 22nd, 2012, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2012, 12:09 am #2

And have used Windex for years to clean my airbrush also, Thanks for heads-up !!!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

March 23rd, 2012, 12:20 am #3

I've heard others recommend this stuff for cleaning airbrushes, prepping plastic parts and so forth. Finally grabbed some and must say it is everything people have advertised this as. You can get a gallon at Home Depot for $10. Put some in an ultrasonic cleaner and dropped in my airbrush parts...it came out looking essentially new (was a heavily used airbrush at that). Nothing I had used before worked this well. Later I used it to prepare some resin parts removing the mold release. I sprayed the arcylics (Model Master in this case) straight on the resin and it's hold on like a rock (or at least like I had used a laquer based primer).

I had previously used Windex/generic equivelent that included ammonia. It worked well, but if you're a heavy user of acrylics give this a try for your cleaning solution. It's fantastic. Even if you don't use acrylics, it may be worth it just for cleaning plastic and resin parts.

While any cleaning solution is meant to be kept out of eyes, not swallowed, etc, this stuff doesn't appear to be any less benign than Windex from the warning labels on it.
I have heard of this stuff before and just this week spotted it for sale in my local Bunnings Mega Hardware store.
However it seems to come in many flavours? inside, outside, glass, not glass and so on.
So my question is which is the version I'm looking for to keep my airbrush's clean and minty?

Thanks John H.
BTW for any Aus readers I've found "Diggers" brand All Purpose Thinners seems to do the job with both enamel and acrylic paints(Tamiya only thus far though)

March 23rd, 2012, 12:22 am #4

And have used Windex for years to clean my airbrush also, Thanks for heads-up !!!!

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

THat rifle looks like a Hatfield .50 cal!

March 23rd, 2012, 12:22 am #5

I have heard of this stuff before and just this week spotted it for sale in my local Bunnings Mega Hardware store.
However it seems to come in many flavours? inside, outside, glass, not glass and so on.
So my question is which is the version I'm looking for to keep my airbrush's clean and minty?

Thanks John H.
BTW for any Aus readers I've found "Diggers" brand All Purpose Thinners seems to do the job with both enamel and acrylic paints(Tamiya only thus far though)
The stuff I have just says "Simple Green: All purpose cleaner" on the label. Doesn't seem to specify indoor, outdoor, etc.

March 23rd, 2012, 12:24 am #6

Thanks John H.
works a treat and good value from Bunnings
Highly recommended to all Aussie modellers who use acrylics AND enamels.

March 23rd, 2012, 12:25 am #7

The first time I used it was about 1987 or 1988, excellent degreaser but soon found out it that it wasn't suitable for use on aircraft. Works good on everything else though

March 23rd, 2012, 12:37 am #8

THat rifle looks like a Hatfield .50 cal!
It's a Pedersoli Frontier (Hatfield copy) with grade 7 maple, 50cal. I love it.

Thanks,
Allan

March 23rd, 2012, 12:57 am #9

Thanks,
Allan

Last edited by steven9 on March 23rd, 2012, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2012, 1:17 am #10

Old Digger Pilot