Ships in rough seas

Ships in rough seas

July 24th, 2011, 6:14 pm #1

I'm not a ship guy, but I always wondered about this. Are the biggest ships like air craft carriers so big they can pretty much handle any sized waves like rogue waves? What would happen if one wound up in a hurricane? Or is there a general wave height that each ship has as a limit?
Thanks, and sorry if it's a stupid questions,
Mike

Ed Keene
Ed Keene

July 24th, 2011, 11:09 pm #2

in ship survival. Very unlikely a carrier would be taken down.

July 25th, 2011, 12:57 am #3

I'm not a ship guy, but I always wondered about this. Are the biggest ships like air craft carriers so big they can pretty much handle any sized waves like rogue waves? What would happen if one wound up in a hurricane? Or is there a general wave height that each ship has as a limit?
Mike
We had "Green Water" over the bow. That means it wasn't just spray rolling over the flight deck, we had mass walls of water coming up over the flight deck. A Frigate in our wake were the sea state is "smoother", was tossed about. It would come up and you could see the keel, then drop down and all you could see was the mast top.

Here's a little video of a fair size cruise ship in rough seas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deX7R9Rb ... ure=fvwrel

Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck !

July 25th, 2011, 4:43 am #4

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRO4H7n4 ... re=related

I believe this is the USS Kittyhawk from youtube descriptions

This one is possibly fake but if not the aircrew will need new underwear!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9dJs7W ... re=related

CHeers
Al
Last edited by Albowie on July 25th, 2011, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2011, 4:41 pm #5

Mike

July 26th, 2011, 9:20 pm #6

Mike
Here's a real life account of how bad it can get. I was on the Midway in 1982-84 forward deployed in Yokosuka, Japan (our homeport). I think in '83 we went to the Aleutians to do cold water ops. The sea was so rough we took water over the flight deck and spray actually hit the bridge on the island! Also the sponson (a large metal structure on the outside of the hull used for underway replenishment, missile launchers, etc.) was hit so hard that we had to call off ops early and go back to port for repairs. I seem to recall it took 2 weeks for the ship fitters to fix the twisted mess. One last thing, I remember standing in the hangar bay and looking out the open elevator doors. One second all you could see was ocean, the next second it was all sky. Very rough (they finally closed the doors once they realized how bad it was becoming.)

Yes, you could withstand a lot of weather and maybe a Hurricane but the ship WILL get damaged just like Midway did in the Aleutians.

I hope that helps.

July 29th, 2011, 1:39 pm #7

We had "Green Water" over the bow. That means it wasn't just spray rolling over the flight deck, we had mass walls of water coming up over the flight deck. A Frigate in our wake were the sea state is "smoother", was tossed about. It would come up and you could see the keel, then drop down and all you could see was the mast top.

Here's a little video of a fair size cruise ship in rough seas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deX7R9Rb ... ure=fvwrel

Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck !
I have a friend in Dallas, also a modeler and he was on the JFK too. I seem to remember he went on the maiden cruise into the Med.

Mike

Bob Melvin
Bob Melvin

August 3rd, 2011, 3:05 pm #8

Mike
Mike, if you have an interest in this subject you might take a look at a book called "Halsey's Typhoon". Its about Typhoon Cobra which Halsey sailed his 3rd Fleet into in Dec., 1944, while he was covering MacArthur's invasion of Mindoro. I'm reading it currently and it gives you a good idea of what a Pacific typhoon can to do a modern (circa 1944) fleet.

Bob