Ship suggestion

Ship suggestion

Bill Gormley
Bill Gormley

October 19th, 2011, 3:11 pm #1

I'll be attending the Jerseycon show this weekend and would like to pick up a ship model while I'm there. I've built armor since returning to the hobby 2-3 years ago and my basic modeling/painting/PE skills are solid. Now I'm edging into ships (beginning with Dragon's 1/350 Laffey). I'd like to purchase a battleship or cruiser and would appreciate some suggestions for good kits, which to me means a good combination of accuracy, fit, and buildability. My period preference is World War II and I have no preference between navies.

Thanks for any input.

Bill Gormley
Bill Gormley

October 19th, 2011, 3:15 pm #2

Apologies - I should have stated that I'm interested in 1/350 scale.

David Eccleston
David Eccleston

October 19th, 2011, 4:13 pm #3

I'll be attending the Jerseycon show this weekend and would like to pick up a ship model while I'm there. I've built armor since returning to the hobby 2-3 years ago and my basic modeling/painting/PE skills are solid. Now I'm edging into ships (beginning with Dragon's 1/350 Laffey). I'd like to purchase a battleship or cruiser and would appreciate some suggestions for good kits, which to me means a good combination of accuracy, fit, and buildability. My period preference is World War II and I have no preference between navies.

Thanks for any input.
Academy 1/350 HMS Warspite (Battleship WW2)

This kit has not long been released, and from the comments/pictures posted here,
looks a good kit.
The cost is very good value for money too (£39.99p in UK).

I also seen on this forum that there is now a photo-etch detail set available.

Hope this helps.

David

October 20th, 2011, 1:54 am #4

Thanks for any input.
Can't go wrong with that, depending on what is available. I'd say the Trumpeter Hood as well, albeit the lower to upper hull fit can be annoying. Both are a little older and might be comparable in price to the Academy Warspite.
Tracy White
Researcher At Large

October 20th, 2011, 3:24 am #5

Thanks for any input.
and just recently sold it for $500.00. I will probably build another in the near future. With photo-etched railings this time.

As she looked when I sold her off, minus the new display case. Pictures taken at the time of completion.

Some details of the rigging I added

Total build time was about six months, including some scratch work on the mast.

The choice is ultimately yours, but I find early WWII or WWI ships to be less work due to the less complicated superstructures, and the lack of thousands of light AA weapons. See the late WWII fits of the North Carolina or Missouri for examples.

Ciao fer now.

George Tufnail
IPMS Vancouver, BC, Canada

Try everything. Only insects should specialize.

Bill Gormley
Bill Gormley

October 20th, 2011, 9:30 am #6

Thanks for any input.
Thanks for all the suggestions. So far I've got:

- Academy Warspite
- Revell Bismarck
- Trumpeter Hood

What about the Roma, Richelieu or Scharnhorst ... or do they fall short in accuracy, fit, and/or buildability? Also, what about cruisers? Any gems worth keeping an eye out for (since I have no idea what the vendors will have on hand).

October 20th, 2011, 12:37 pm #7

Thanks for any input.
Add the WEM photo etch and you will have a ship to be very proud of. For less than the cost of most 1/350 kits alone. There are really no problems with assembly. Everything fits the way it is supposed to and it looks good. For a while there won't be that many out there but I'm sure that will change rapidly. I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes.

There are also Tamiya offerings, the newer ones, that a very good. Dragon has some good ones too, but Dragon tends to go for LOTS of parts and tiny tiny detail that can drive you mad! Trumpeter is also a player in that scale and their ships are also good. Luckily you have lots of good choices.

For a new ship builder the Warspite would be a very good choice. Good looking, priced right, fantastic history, but you couldn't really go wrong with most of the newer ship kits out there. Save the Dragon Scharnhorst for a while. It's a six month build if it's a day. Stunning detail, with a stunning price, that requires time, more time, and lots and lots of eye strain to build. It's certainly not for the faint of heart.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

Bill Gormley
Bill Gormley

October 20th, 2011, 1:34 pm #8

Sounds like the Warspite would be a great choice. I'll look for it at the show, although I don't know how likely I am to find it when it doesn't appear on most vendors' websites yet (at least those that I've checked).

You mentioned Tamiya's newer offerings are usually a good choice ... which battleships / cruisers would fall into that category?

And I hear you on Dragon's propensity to provide lots of plastic and fiddly assemblies. They do that with their armor kits as well (although in their defense their Smart Kits keep the parts count down). I'll put the Scharnhorst out of my mind ... for now. I personally think it's one of the most handsome warships ever built, so I'm going to have to give it a shot some day.

David Eccleston
David Eccleston

October 20th, 2011, 3:37 pm #9

Thanks for any input.
Zvezda has just released in 1/350 WW1 Battleship HMS Dreadnought.
I've heard good reports on this kit.
I think this ship broke many traditional methods of ship building (launched in 1906)
Not often you see WW1 subjects.

David Eccleston
David Eccleston

October 20th, 2011, 3:37 pm #10

Thanks for any input.
Zvezda has just released in 1/350 WW1 Battleship HMS Dreadnought.
I've heard good reports on this kit.
I think this ship broke many traditional methods of ship building (launched in 1906)
Not often you see WW1 subjects.