Serious question for mechanic types--rear wheel bearing hub

Serious question for mechanic types--rear wheel bearing hub

February 28th, 2012, 5:02 am #1

So, I've replaced my share of wheel bearings over the years (back when you paid 15 bucks for bearings seals and grease), but now I have to replace a hub/bearing on my wife's Saturn Vue (one big unit @$80+, thank you very much); I looked up "how to do it" on e-how.com, in the article it says to get two big new retaining nuts, an 30mm & a 34mm since the originals are supposed to one-time use only. However, when I ordered the stuff they only list one of the nuts related to wheels/suspension. Soooo, anyone work on newer stuff and find tht you can re-use these retaining nuts? Are they bronze or some malleable metal that gets compressed and munged up?

I don't want my wife's wheel to fall off on the way to Reno...

Thoughts? Ideas? Funny stories?

As always, many TIA!

February 28th, 2012, 3:17 pm #2

Of course it is never a bad idea to replace them but to reuse them once does work. My friend put 80,000 miles on it and the wheels never fell off!
HTH!!!
Larry @ AUDI

February 28th, 2012, 4:11 pm #3

So, I've replaced my share of wheel bearings over the years (back when you paid 15 bucks for bearings seals and grease), but now I have to replace a hub/bearing on my wife's Saturn Vue (one big unit @$80+, thank you very much); I looked up "how to do it" on e-how.com, in the article it says to get two big new retaining nuts, an 30mm & a 34mm since the originals are supposed to one-time use only. However, when I ordered the stuff they only list one of the nuts related to wheels/suspension. Soooo, anyone work on newer stuff and find tht you can re-use these retaining nuts? Are they bronze or some malleable metal that gets compressed and munged up?

As always, many TIA!
They are "lock nuts" of sorts. The end facing out has been crilled in slightly as to drag on the threads to reduce the chance of it backing off. Just torque the original one you have once you get it on there and you should be fine...

Cheers,
Dave

February 28th, 2012, 6:02 pm #4

As always, many TIA!
on saturnfans.com. I asked in the forums there when I had water leaking into the passenger side of my SC2 and it didn't take long to get the problem solved.

Cameron Forester
Aviation Maintenance student

I don't rant; I complain logically
-My mom

February 29th, 2012, 6:05 pm #5

As always, many TIA!
I took the wheel off and there is splining for a stub axle but only four bolts hold the whole thing together; replaced the entire thing in about 15 minutes once I saw that--no grease, no moving brakes out of the way, just put it in & bolt it. No retaining nut needed (the front wheel of course has one).

Google was not my friend on this one....