seeking help for airbrushing problem

seeking help for airbrushing problem

February 13th, 2018, 2:58 pm #1

I’ve been having a problem with airbrushing that I’ve never had before – been getting “wrinkles” in the paint. It’s not a rough orange-peel effect, it’s more where the paint wrinkles in random places.

I’m using Mr Color paint (flat gray-type color) thinned with Mr Color thinner – I’m using my usual ratios, so the paint is like milk. I airbrush in my basement, and it’s cooler down there than usual, could that be the problem? It’s driving me crazy. The wrinkles appear almost as soon as the paint has been sprayed onto the plastic. Am I putting it on too thick maybe, or too thin??

February 13th, 2018, 3:29 pm #2

Make sure you're shooting to a cleaned surface (91% alcohol works well).

Try painting onto a test piece first to verify.
Andrew White

February 13th, 2018, 3:41 pm #3

I did wash the part in soap and water, I'll try your method too. The problem looks like this

http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment ... 1511661553

February 13th, 2018, 4:16 pm #4

I’ve been having a problem with airbrushing that I’ve never had before – been getting “wrinkles” in the paint. It’s not a rough orange-peel effect, it’s more where the paint wrinkles in random places.

I’m using Mr Color paint (flat gray-type color) thinned with Mr Color thinner – I’m using my usual ratios, so the paint is like milk. I airbrush in my basement, and it’s cooler down there than usual, could that be the problem? It’s driving me crazy. The wrinkles appear almost as soon as the paint has been sprayed onto the plastic. Am I putting it on too thick maybe, or too thin??
telescopes. Could it be something in the paint itself ? I do not know, but we used wrinkle paint for several things. Good luck, George

February 13th, 2018, 4:16 pm #5

plastic parts in water with dishwasher detergent added, then rinsed and dried. When ready to paint, I clean the plastic with Terpenol, followed by a wipe with Alcohol, then a tack cloth. During this period of time I'm wearing white cotton gloves to keep my body fluids off the plastic. And yes -- just prior to spraying I use the Airbrush at high pressure to blow off and recently added dust.

Frank
Frank

February 13th, 2018, 4:55 pm #6

Sounds like you're trying to apply way too much paint in one pass. Air flow from your AB is forming miniature waves in the wet paint. High air pressure and improperly thinned paint compound the problem. Mr. Color requires higher thinning ratios than most other paint. Try Mr. Color Leveling thinner 70/30. Cooler temperatures will increase the apparent viscosity of the paint. Especially if its not properly thinned to start with. If you are getting cob webs as you spray Mr. Color your paint is way too thick.

February 13th, 2018, 5:27 pm #7

I did wash the part in soap and water, I'll try your method too. The problem looks like this

Are you spraying over a primer or bare plastic? A primer would probably solve this

If bare plastic, it could have a surface contaminant - finger oils, mold release oils, or, rarely, a big , greasy spot, molded into the plastic.

You mention Mr. Color paints and M r. Color thinner. Are you useing their regular thinner or M r. Levelling Thinner. You should be using Mr. Levelling Thinner which has a retarder and flow agent.

February 13th, 2018, 10:24 pm #8

I ran into this when I tried to spray a fast drying paint over a slow dryer(nt)