Secrets

Secrets

October 23rd, 2011, 11:52 am #1

HI Modellers

Just wondering if you will share some of your secrets behind the painting of F-117 schemes black if it is black and how to go about the darker greys on F-22s masking although soft
as im about to start my Tamiya 48th scale F-117 and then academys 48th F-22

any help with painting details will be appreciated
Thanks Matt

October 23rd, 2011, 2:03 pm #2

Some punctuation would make it a lot easier to decipher. If you're asking about how to paint an F-117 black, the trick is not to paint it black. Paint it extremely dark grey and use slightly varying shades here and there for some contrast. You can say the same for almost any 'black' airplane.

October 23rd, 2011, 3:52 pm #3

HI Modellers

Just wondering if you will share some of your secrets behind the painting of F-117 schemes black if it is black and how to go about the darker greys on F-22s masking although soft

Thanks Matt
Floquil makes several shades of black which are great for painting "black" aircraft, including F-117s (and P-61s).

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

October 24th, 2011, 3:33 am #4

Some punctuation would make it a lot easier to decipher. If you're asking about how to paint an F-117 black, the trick is not to paint it black. Paint it extremely dark grey and use slightly varying shades here and there for some contrast. You can say the same for almost any 'black' airplane.
Can you say, "run-on"? nt

October 24th, 2011, 4:42 am #5

HI Modellers

Thanks Matt
Actually I'm not impressed with any blacks of any manufacturer for a "black" model. The key is to add red, lots of it. I use Model master and I mix British Crimson with flat black and that creates a very nice "scaled" black.

Now when it is mixed it will look like really dark chocolate, it might even look that way when initially shot on the model. If shot extremely thin it'll give a purple hue but just go over it with a few more light coats and it will even out. Once painted it won't look quite right but once you shoot a clear coat to apply decals over then shoot a flat coat to flat the model out the result is a very nice "scale" black that is far better than anything that comes straight out of the bottle. It's one of those things in which you have to trust the process to the end.

A fellow modeler in my IPMS chapter followed what I just explained and built a very nice F-117. He experienced the same things I just described but in the end it really looked good. Here are some examples of my work.

Those that can't do, teach. Those that can't teach, evaluate.

Bryant

October 24th, 2011, 1:50 pm #6

HI

Thanks for taking the time to share

I would have never thought of using red in the black
to get the effect you have done so well

The XB-70 looks different in black compared to the usual white
mines still half done having a short 6 month break from the sanding

Thanks Again

October 24th, 2011, 2:53 pm #7

The photography makes the paint look a bit lighter than it actually is. Something else to consider is what light condition the model is in. In natural lighting it looks much different than that of industrial type lighting.

I was recently at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh for a model show and a number of people asked about how I did the black paint on the B-70. One individual was very interested and I shared with him what I have told you. We even stepped outside with the model so he could see the significant different in effect that natural light does to the model. In natural light the subtle panel lining effects I did could more readily be seen where as inside it was unnoticeable. As a resource, look at color photos of SR-71s, in some photos it looks more like a seal brown rather than black. The addition of red will help to create that effect in a suttle way where as adding white or grey merely turns the black into dark shades of grey. Some photos of SR-71s can represent that too so it's a matter of personal preference but for me the addition of red is the way to go.

Those that can't do, teach. Those that can't teach, evaluate.

Bryant

November 2nd, 2011, 6:00 am #8

HI Modellers

Thanks Matt
1:Tamiya Flat Black to 1: Tamiya Red Brown for black aircraft. I've tried it and it looks good. You can then wash the panel lines black and they show up too. Then a little overspray with thin very dark grey in the center (centre?) of the panels to help break it up some more.

Alex in Seattle