Sea Vixen wing fold colour conundrum

Sea Vixen wing fold colour conundrum

January 30th, 2012, 2:00 am #1

Is there one proper colour for the Sea Vixen wing fold? So far I have seen three different colours: Grey (same as Ucart and gear bays which is Humbrol #87, Matt Steel Grey, according to the Airfix instructions), white and ZCY?? The Caloundra Air Museum has theirs painted green. I guess I should just ignore that one?

Tom

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

January 30th, 2012, 5:34 am #2

The short answer is, it depends. It weas doen in all three colors. Best case, you know what aircraft you are building and have a picture. Lacking that, I took my best guess. I am sure there are some others that may have more info

Dave

January 30th, 2012, 11:15 am #3

Is there one proper colour for the Sea Vixen wing fold? So far I have seen three different colours: Grey (same as Ucart and gear bays which is Humbrol #87, Matt Steel Grey, according to the Airfix instructions), white and ZCY?? The Caloundra Air Museum has theirs painted green. I guess I should just ignore that one?

Tom

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
According to the CMR directions for the Scimitar wing fold set:

Aluminum Silver Paint - (FS 17178)
Most common finish applied to exposed interior airframe surfaces during the Scimitar F.1s operational service career.

Light Admiralty Grey - (FS 15526 is a slightly darker colour)
Introduced on some Scimitar F.1 aircraft during modernization at RNAY Fleetlands, from late-1964 onwards. Use this color for wing interior surfaces if the undercarriage bays of chosen aircraft scheme are stated at Light Admiralty Grey.

Mustard Yellow - (FS 33481)
Applied to a few Scimitar F.1 aircraft during overhaul at RNAY Fleetlands during 1965.

I'm not sure we can extrapolate this information directly to the Sea Vixen or not, but I would think it is a start.

Cheers,
Don

January 30th, 2012, 1:17 pm #4

These are all US FS colours.

British aircraft are always painted in BS colours!(NEVER FS!)

January 30th, 2012, 6:57 pm #5

Tom

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
If there is that much variety with no real standard to follow, I like the yellow ZC just from the visually interesting standpoint. You've already got the photo for backup.

Rick L.

January 31st, 2012, 5:14 am #6

These are all US FS colours.

British aircraft are always painted in BS colours!(NEVER FS!)
I think because more people are familiar with FS matches rather than the original British paints.

Cheers,
Don

February 1st, 2012, 12:32 pm #7

Don, The post did not mention anything about near matches, it says these are the colours.
I don't agree that everyone is familiar with FS colours I certainly am not and It does not help in that most paint types do not list their ranges as FS numbers anyway.

It always galls me that modellers will rivet count to the smallest degree on a kit and then totally ignore the correct paint colours for the subject details of which are usually readily available (kit manufacturers are as guilty of this omission as any).

There also seems to be a trend that US Modellers seem to believe that every Military aircraft in the world today is painted in FS colours!

Selwyn

February 1st, 2012, 5:16 pm #8

According to the CMR directions for the Scimitar wing fold set:

Aluminum Silver Paint - (FS 17178)
Most common finish applied to exposed interior airframe surfaces during the Scimitar F.1s operational service career.

Light Admiralty Grey - (FS 15526 is a slightly darker colour)
Introduced on some Scimitar F.1 aircraft during modernization at RNAY Fleetlands, from late-1964 onwards. Use this color for wing interior surfaces if the undercarriage bays of chosen aircraft scheme are stated at Light Admiralty Grey.

Mustard Yellow - (FS 33481)
Applied to a few Scimitar F.1 aircraft during overhaul at RNAY Fleetlands during 1965.

I'm not sure we can extrapolate this information directly to the Sea Vixen or not, but I would think it is a start.

Cheers,
Don
Don, since colours shift with clear coats, washes, not to mention scale effect, close FS approximations are a good enough starting point for me. Especially since Model Master colours are all referenced to FS numbers and all that.

BTW: How far along in the build are you?

Kind Regards,

david

February 1st, 2012, 5:18 pm #9

If there is that much variety with no real standard to follow, I like the yellow ZC just from the visually interesting standpoint. You've already got the photo for backup.

Rick L.
Just because those little square Testor's bottles are nostalgic. Plus it looks cool.

Now: for the 64,000-dollar question: What colour are you going to use for the Extra Dark Sea Gray??

david

February 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm #10

Since RPM is discontinuing the polly scale line, and testors currently does not have EDSG in its line, I am at a loss of what to do when my bottle runs out.

I'm going to have to go through my paints and see what is a close match or needs only a little tweaking.