Scratch Vacform 1/72nd Fe-2b Landing Gear and a story...

Scratch Vacform 1/72nd Fe-2b Landing Gear and a story...

February 27th, 2012, 1:42 am #1

All,

Here it is all rigged with antidrag wires, twin rudder cables, ailerons on and connected and everything in place...well...ALMOST.

I was working on the soldered landing gear and I dropped the Fe on the table!!!!!!

I almost cried. The tails came off, some rigging in the wings sprung as well as some antidrag wires. I took a deep breath and put it back together. Now it needs some TLC in a few places where wires are gone but I'm amazed how well it hung together. Phew...I DON'T want that to happen again. I guess this means the rigging is indeed strong and functional! Now the stabilizer will never be the same...it's a bit wonky...but I can live with it.

Landing gear is just started. You can see I also started making some spring wrappings. I need to add fairings and there is more structure that goes in between the wheels. Looks cool on it's own legs, though.

Anyway, thanks for looking and I do hope everything is smooth sailing from this point.

February 27th, 2012, 3:29 am #2

I'm thinking this is a wee beastie, but it's a bit hard to tell. How about a paint tin/bottle for scale?

Beautiful work though - it will be something to be proud of.

Cheers,

February 27th, 2012, 3:44 am #3

All,

Here it is all rigged with antidrag wires, twin rudder cables, ailerons on and connected and everything in place...well...ALMOST.

I was working on the soldered landing gear and I dropped the Fe on the table!!!!!!

I almost cried. The tails came off, some rigging in the wings sprung as well as some antidrag wires. I took a deep breath and put it back together. Now it needs some TLC in a few places where wires are gone but I'm amazed how well it hung together. Phew...I DON'T want that to happen again. I guess this means the rigging is indeed strong and functional! Now the stabilizer will never be the same...it's a bit wonky...but I can live with it.

Landing gear is just started. You can see I also started making some spring wrappings. I need to add fairings and there is more structure that goes in between the wheels. Looks cool on it's own legs, though.

Anyway, thanks for looking and I do hope everything is smooth sailing from this point.
I know that "grown man cries" feeling all too well. Pleeeeeze be careful; this thing is way to amazing to lose to an accident! Just wonderful, amazing work!

Stuart

February 27th, 2012, 4:45 am #4

I'm thinking this is a wee beastie, but it's a bit hard to tell. How about a paint tin/bottle for scale?

Beautiful work though - it will be something to be proud of.

Cheers,
Sorry...will do, Andrew...on the next post! (nt)

February 27th, 2012, 4:47 am #5

I know that "grown man cries" feeling all too well. Pleeeeeze be careful; this thing is way to amazing to lose to an accident! Just wonderful, amazing work!

Stuart
Hi Stuart,

I couldn't believe it. I guess it's getting harder to hold now that everything is on it. Some of the most exposed (and not structural) wires are EZ line and they stretch and bend very nicely. Let's hope I keep this thing right side up!

Too close, now...Thanks for looking and commenting.

February 27th, 2012, 5:23 am #6

All,

It appears to be model dropping season - your Fe, Fred Coulson's Lincoln - and I dropped my Kawasaki Ki 78 yesterday moving the model to take pics of the finished article to post in this forum.

You seem to have made a nice save, though. Great progress! Landing gear looks good and has that fragile look of the original.

February 27th, 2012, 5:58 am #7

Sorry...will do, Andrew...on the next post! (nt)

I hope this helps. I used a Humbrol and a Tamiya just so you can tell the difference.

Being a 1/72nd modeller most of the time, this thing seems pretty large compared to say the DH-5 I just finished!

Cheers.

February 27th, 2012, 6:00 am #8

It appears to be model dropping season - your Fe, Fred Coulson's Lincoln - and I dropped my Kawasaki Ki 78 yesterday moving the model to take pics of the finished article to post in this forum.

You seem to have made a nice save, though. Great progress! Landing gear looks good and has that fragile look of the original.

Thanks for looking and, as I've said before...I blame all of this on you.

So, thanks!

Cheers.

February 27th, 2012, 8:57 am #9

I hope this helps. I used a Humbrol and a Tamiya just so you can tell the difference.

Being a 1/72nd modeller most of the time, this thing seems pretty large compared to say the DH-5 I just finished!

Cheers.
But fear not, I'm told the size doesn't matter as long as it's correctly rigged.

Great work and thanks for the comparison shot.

Cheers,

February 27th, 2012, 1:58 pm #10

All,

This is one impressive build, scratchbuilding is sooo fun.