Scratch building boats/ships from zero?

Scratch building boats/ships from zero?

September 19th, 2011, 7:03 pm #1

Hi guys.
Usually I'm over on plastic pix, or plane talking... sometimes I wonder over to this side of the site...

OK, I'd like to do some 1/48th scale ships/boats. Knowing there are no kits available of the subjects I want, I was thinking (I know, bad idea) about scratch building them.

First is finding the proper plans, or blue prints suitable for model building...

I'm looking at stuff like WWII PT Boats, Viet Nam PBR's, and Riverine/Brown Water Navy stuff, I'd really like to do the old Revell USS Defiance PGM in 1/48th!

OK guys, hit me with what ya got!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

September 20th, 2011, 12:44 am #2

Even though it is a generic patrol boat, it sure was fun. You will need lots of sheet pastic. If your gonna build from scratch, I will be folowing. Love your work.

California Sthttp://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1316479362.JPG
Last edited by steven9 on September 20th, 2011, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Grune
Ed Grune

September 20th, 2011, 3:11 pm #3

Hi guys.
Usually I'm over on plastic pix, or plane talking... sometimes I wonder over to this side of the site...

OK, I'd like to do some 1/48th scale ships/boats. Knowing there are no kits available of the subjects I want, I was thinking (I know, bad idea) about scratch building them.

First is finding the proper plans, or blue prints suitable for model building...

I'm looking at stuff like WWII PT Boats, Viet Nam PBR's, and Riverine/Brown Water Navy stuff, I'd really like to do the old Revell USS Defiance PGM in 1/48th!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don

This is a 1:192 scale 133' Coast Guard buoy tender I mastered for ISW. I call it the rib & keel method.

Start with a set of hull lines copied to your desired scale. Make multiple copies. You will be cutting them up.

Take the elevation line drawing. Cut and apply to a sheet of plastic. Trim to outline. For larger scales you may want something stiff like 1/16 plexi. Call it the keel. I think this was 0.04 Evergreen. Use the deck plan drawing also.

Next take the butt lines. These are the ribs. Cut and laminate onto plastic. Trim to outline. Be sure to account for 1/2 the thickness of the keel. Cement to stations marked on the keel plan. Do both sides. Insert braceing for stability.

Next two options:
1) Wrap everything in masking tape, couple of layers, but leave some gaps. Mix and pour resin into the gaps between the spaces between the ribs & keel. Pour in several lifts to prevent heat build-up. When hard, remove the tape and sand resin pour back to the ribs. Fill and fair it smooth. Apply finish details such as rub rails, chines, etc. You can now use this as a master to pour other coplies.

2) Similar to wooden ship plank on bulkhead framing, apply strips of styrene to the ribs. You may want to account for the thickness of the strips when laying out the ribs. Sand smooth, fill and fair to smooth. Apply finish details.

OPtion 2 is lighter, but I have not had succes in using the resultant hull form as a master.

You can obtain hull lines for PT boats and VN riverine craft from the Floating Drydock (floatingdrydock.com)

Ed Grune
Ed Grune

September 20th, 2011, 3:18 pm #4

Scratchbuilder
Scratchbuilder

September 20th, 2011, 3:20 pm #5

Hi guys.

Semper Fi, Don
about scratchbuilding can be found and discussed in this link:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 5dc49f78d3

September 20th, 2011, 5:16 pm #6

Even though it is a generic patrol boat, it sure was fun. You will need lots of sheet pastic. If your gonna build from scratch, I will be folowing. Love your work.

California Sthttp://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1316479362.JPG
I've never seen an oversized armored bathtub before! Hahahaaaa

That is pretty cool!

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

September 20th, 2011, 5:17 pm #7

... Those are both some fantastic pieces of work!

Thaks for the tips!

Semper Fi, Don
Last edited by shogun66 on September 20th, 2011, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

September 21st, 2011, 3:15 am #8

I've never seen an oversized armored bathtub before! Hahahaaaa

That is pretty cool!

Semper Fi, Don
It's the first one I ever did. n/t

Rene Hieronymus
Rene Hieronymus

September 22nd, 2011, 6:16 pm #9

Hi guys.

Semper Fi, Don
I'm using a methodto build a ship whichI think is pretty easy.

Most important of all I think, there is no "ultimate" solution for building shipmodels. It depends on your choice of scale andwhich ship you are going to build. But here are some ideas how I'm doing it and most of these ways have been tried several times.

The thig you will have to do first is to get some plans, and photos, the more the better. The plans should at least include the hull frames and the outer hull form. Without the frame-plan the whole thing is going to be tricky. My favourite source for plans is definitley "Floating Drydock" the have almost everything and they are highly reliable, never had any trouble ordering from them, everything arrived in time and in the best possible condition.

First thing I do is to blow up the plans that I have bought up in the exact scale which I want to build (perhaps the most imortant thing at all) Next I scan the frames and duplicate them on my computer and print them on ordinary paper. Theses are transferred to the proper material which you are going to use for your model, wood, styrene, or stiff cardboard, everything works petty fine. Next I make a "keel" no matter if the model is going to be waterline or full hull. The frames are then attached to that keel by simply cutting small notches into it at the proper places. Next several wooden parts are simply glued in between the different frames to make the whole construction sturdy

Here are some pics how this looks: These are the frames for my 1:72nd scale CVE, I constructed the whole thing in 2 pices so taht I could handle that monster during the upcoming years of detailing. The whole structure became very sturdy as soon as all the inner wooden beams were attached and when the cardboard inner hull were added.

Here you can see the middle "keel" (the whole model is only a waterline affair

I first attached a layer of stiff cardboard to the frames and after that I added 3 more layers of styrene making the whole thing very very tough. The outer styrene plating was fairly simple to work with.

The bow and the stern were made from solid wooden blocks which were attached with white glue and some screws to the rest and finally sanded down.

Since the whole model is about 9ft long a sturdy construction was quite important

Here you can see how I attached several more details to the outer hull:

Another project that I have been working on is the USS Brister, a DE, Edsall class, same scale (1:72) and about 3 and 1/2 ft long. In this partiular case I wanted to siimulate the uneven appearance of those hulls of an unarmored "tincan" The basic construction with frames attatched to a keel and several wooden pieces in between is all the same:

But in this particular construction I added a cardboard layer to the frames and then I placed severyl hundred small wooden beams along the hull. Over that I simply glued slightly thicker aluminumfoil (one way dishes) to simulate the "dented look"

This is how it loooks when the whole ship was colored (not finished yet):

The stern as well as the bow was once again made from solid wood and attached with the help of (a lot) putty

Now here is a complete different way I builded a fairly small watercraft. In this case once again 1:72 a USN Seal RHIBS

I this case I made the entire hull of ordinary car putty. I simply attached 3 small frames to the base and "the keel" all in the final form. After that I simply slapped on a fairly large ammount of that putty and gave the hull the almost final form.

The end result was achieved by sanding it down the my motor tool, took me only 2 hrs. to built the entire hull.

And finally another way to build a ship. In this case the forward hull sectio of a wreck. Iw wanted to guiive the onlloker a chance to see some of the inner structure. so in this case I had to "really" construct the inner parts. This became sofar the most complex "ship" that I have build sofar.

Here you can see the frames being cut and drilled:

Next the frames are being attached to the keel:The wooden piece is just for the construction process

Whenn all the frames are attached they were colored and

More detail were added such as the hawse pipes:

Since I wanted to model a wrecek I had to add the planking piece for pieceall made from styrene:

Here you can see the aftermost bulkhead of that ship and some of the plating already in place:

And here is the final result without color:

If you need more informations feel free to contact me, I will galdly give away all secrets of building a shipthat I knew of sofar.

Cheers

September 23rd, 2011, 12:51 pm #10

I remember your USN Seal RHIBS, and that Bow section that you had placed on a diorama. You have a great gift for detail, and scratchbuilding!

I'm looking to do some of the small stuff, nothing larger than a PT Boat, or maybe a PGM.

Thanks for the tips, and pictures, they'll help alot. But be rest assured, I'll be calling on you when I get started!

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don