Sanger 1/48 KI-49

Sanger 1/48 KI-49

May 19th, 2012, 12:30 pm #1

I'm having so much fun with the Sanger KI-21 Sally that I ordered the KI-49 Helen. No, really! It's been a blast. Anyway, I've got the Helen and it doesn't seem too bad other than the horrendous trench like panel lines on the wings. The clear parts are at least useable (unlike the Sally). I was wondering why noone anywhere has posted a build of the Sanger KI-49? Is there some dark secret that makes it unbuildable?

May 19th, 2012, 4:41 pm #2

Maybe because relatively few people seem to be building vacuform kits these days? Maybe because it's a subject with limited interest for a lot of modelers? Maybe because there are any number of reviews of various Sanger kits that don't tend to inspire confidence among modelers accustomed to modern injection molded kits?

(Here's one of the more charitable comments I found, lifted from a thread at Britmodeller: "Sanger kits are 'old school' vac-formed kits that require a fair bit of work to build into a representative model. You will need to scratchbuild lots of things like the cockpit interior, wheel wells, main gear etc. and some of the white metal detail bits you get are not very good (apart from as nose weight). That said, they reward patience and careful planning and can be built ... eventually ...")

Or maybe some combination of all the above?

Pip Moss

May 19th, 2012, 6:02 pm #3

All your points are valid, but you can find Sanger kits built up on the internet pretty easy. As I said before, I'm working on the Sally and it's turning out to be a lot of fun. Can't find anything on the KI-49 though.