SAND camo for 98BG B-24s

SAND camo for 98BG B-24s

March 28th, 2012, 9:04 pm #1

While going through a rather thick folder full of copies of USAAF camouflage discussions I came across a page that, while totally out place for the specific topic at hand, still provides a brief if interesting look at WWII USAAF camouflage. The quality of the photocopies is such that I'm retyping many of them as I choose what (if anything) should go in Vol. II of "Consolidated Mess". I say "if anything" because Dana Bell has already done such a wonderful job of discussing AAF colors of all sorts that it appears to me pretty much everything else pales in comparison.

This word for word retype has it all - Date, TO whom and FROM whom it was sent, and specific references as to project, underlying AAF document references, etc. I've not researched the desert camo at any length so this document should be considered just a tiny slice. For all I know at this point a document completely reversing the color choice, etc. could have been issued three days later and may yet be lurking in my pile. Still, in the meantime, it gives the serious researcher a possible starting point to pursue, and the modeler some possibly useful information. The key, of course, is that it is documented and that that documentation is shared here with everyone.

The original document, as all such information, is an officially declassified USAAF document in the Public Domain and available to anyone willing to take the time to look for it! Go NARA II!

I hope you find it of interest.

AlanG

DATE: May 27, 1942

ATTENTION: Production Section

O. R. COCK
Colonel, Army Air Corps

PES-T-1468. . . . IN REFERENCE TO THE REQUIREMENTS

FOR APPLICATION OF DESERT CAMOUFLAGE TO AIRPLANES

FOR NINETY EIGHTH BOMB GROUP PROJECT, IT IS INTENDED

TO APPLY PERMANENT CAMOUFLAGE ENAMEL CONFORMING TO

AIR CORPS SPECIFICATION 14109 OF THE SAME COLOR

AS WATERCOLOR SAND, CHART NO. 26. IT IS ALSO

NTENDED TO APPLY THIS ENAMEL IN A SOLID COAT

DIRECTLY OVER EXISTING O.D. CAMOUFLAGE AND THAT THE

UNDER-SURFACES WILL REMAIN NEUTRAL GRAY AS THEY ARE

AT PRESENT. INASMUCH AS PRESENT INSTRUCTIONS AT THE

MATERIAL CENTER CONCERNING CAMOUFLAGE OF THIS TYPE

ARE NOT DETERMINED, THIS INFORMATION IS FURNISHED IN

ORDER THAT APPROPRIATE AUTHORITY MAY BE INFORMED.

PROD. ENGR. SEC.

cc: Bomb. Br. , P.E.S

March 28th, 2012, 9:31 pm #2

"Inasmuch". I can't recall the last time I heard that used in contemporary writing.

March 28th, 2012, 9:36 pm #3

While going through a rather thick folder full of copies of USAAF camouflage discussions I came across a page that, while totally out place for the specific topic at hand, still provides a brief if interesting look at WWII USAAF camouflage. The quality of the photocopies is such that I'm retyping many of them as I choose what (if anything) should go in Vol. II of "Consolidated Mess". I say "if anything" because Dana Bell has already done such a wonderful job of discussing AAF colors of all sorts that it appears to me pretty much everything else pales in comparison.

This word for word retype has it all - Date, TO whom and FROM whom it was sent, and specific references as to project, underlying AAF document references, etc. I've not researched the desert camo at any length so this document should be considered just a tiny slice. For all I know at this point a document completely reversing the color choice, etc. could have been issued three days later and may yet be lurking in my pile. Still, in the meantime, it gives the serious researcher a possible starting point to pursue, and the modeler some possibly useful information. The key, of course, is that it is documented and that that documentation is shared here with everyone.

The original document, as all such information, is an officially declassified USAAF document in the Public Domain and available to anyone willing to take the time to look for it! Go NARA II!

AlanG

O. R. COCK
Colonel, Army Air Corps

PROD. ENGR. SEC.

Colonel Cock?

Thanks for sharing this info Alan, and for your dedication to unraveling this massive ball of yarn that is the B-24!

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

March 28th, 2012, 9:43 pm #4

"Inasmuch". I can't recall the last time I heard that used in contemporary writing.
...unless of course, you're addicted to reading trial transcripts.
Last edited by NormInToronto on March 28th, 2012, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2012, 10:01 pm #5

AlanG

O. R. COCK
Colonel, Army Air Corps

PROD. ENGR. SEC.

that was his real name!

I posted this on another site as well which apparently has a block for such words and had to explain that the missing name was the same as that for a mature male chicken. LMAO

Thank you for your kind words, Lynn. I hope you'll spring for the book and enjoy every minute of reading about the targets for those Me-109s of yours.

AlanG

March 28th, 2012, 10:03 pm #6

AlanG

O. R. COCK
Colonel, Army Air Corps

PROD. ENGR. SEC.

[/IMG]

March 28th, 2012, 10:09 pm #7

I have that photo and should have posted it.

Good on ya!

AlanG

March 28th, 2012, 10:37 pm #8

AlanG

O. R. COCK
Colonel, Army Air Corps

PROD. ENGR. SEC.

to list your book. Last time I checked an Amazon reseller had it, but not Amazon proper.

March 28th, 2012, 11:35 pm #9

...unless of course, you're addicted to reading trial transcripts.

March 29th, 2012, 1:21 am #10

Colonel Cock?

Thanks for sharing this info Alan, and for your dedication to unraveling this massive ball of yarn that is the B-24!

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner