San Francisco

San Francisco

July 9th, 2012, 2:29 am #1

Headed to San Francisco for work in a couple weeks. Anything model related worth seeing there?..Hobby Shops? I know I am going to try to see Alcatraz and the touristy stuff but didnt know if there were any good museums or military places to see?

Thanks

July 9th, 2012, 3:04 am #2

... believe it or not. Basement has a large selection of aircraft kits, with a nice mix of new and older stuff.

July is 20% off all train stuff, and they have a good selection of parts (MV lenses, etc) useful for modeling.

It's In Berkeley, but right near a Bart station, so quite easy to get to from downtown San Francisco:

http://www.berkeleyace.com/

Also a fantastic shop in Campbell, D&J's Hobbies, but that's about an hours drive into the South Bay, but if you have the time and some wheels, worth the trip:

http://www.djhobby.com/aboutus.html

The USS Pampanito and Jeremiah O'Brien are near Fisherman's Wharf, and the USS Hornet is in nearby Alameda. All good fun

I'm envious! I recently moved from the Bay Area. I miss those places!
Last edited by Ferdico on July 9th, 2012, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 3:28 am #3

Headed to San Francisco for work in a couple weeks. Anything model related worth seeing there?..Hobby Shops? I know I am going to try to see Alcatraz and the touristy stuff but didnt know if there were any good museums or military places to see?

Thanks
set aside some time to go to the Maritime Park and especially the Maritime Museum. There had been some really awesome models in there.
http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/ ... eID=350388

If you're staying right in the city, Berkeley Ace Hardware is the place to go. In the past they have had 20% sales on Mondays but its been awhile since I've been there.

Don't forget a substantial sweatshirt and long pants in summer. Its amusing to see tourists shivering in line to board the cable cars (go early) expecting summerlike weather in summertime in San Francisco. (Don't call it Frisco) Mark Twain had it right "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

July 9th, 2012, 3:41 am #4

Thanks
I think it is the only former Nike site that is open to the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF-88

I second D&J!

July 9th, 2012, 6:34 am #5

Thanks
Pompanito and Jeremiah Obrien are both at pier... 42? Somewhere around there. Pompanito is definitely worth a visit. Also, across the bay at Alameda NAS is the Hornet. She's a great reference, as they haven't cut out any bulkheads for convenience, and they keep all of their planes in their original colors. Really neat museum.

July 9th, 2012, 7:04 am #6

... believe it or not. Basement has a large selection of aircraft kits, with a nice mix of new and older stuff.

July is 20% off all train stuff, and they have a good selection of parts (MV lenses, etc) useful for modeling.

It's In Berkeley, but right near a Bart station, so quite easy to get to from downtown San Francisco:

http://www.berkeleyace.com/

Also a fantastic shop in Campbell, D&J's Hobbies, but that's about an hours drive into the South Bay, but if you have the time and some wheels, worth the trip:

http://www.djhobby.com/aboutus.html

The USS Pampanito and Jeremiah O'Brien are near Fisherman's Wharf, and the USS Hornet is in nearby Alameda. All good fun

I'm envious! I recently moved from the Bay Area. I miss those places!
It is no longer the shop it used to be. Not worth the trip from SF to Campbell.

July 9th, 2012, 7:32 am #7

I think it is the only former Nike site that is open to the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF-88

I second D&J!
it was open for the first time to the public at large and it was really in need of lots of TLC. Standing water in the underground rooms. Displayed Nike and launcher displayed above ground along w/ some trailer control rooms. Still an interesting visit.

Visited again a yr ago and what progress! What a great restoration job. More Nike exhibits. Missle elevator working. It's very cool to see and in a beautiful setting.

It's located in the Marin County Headlands 8-10 miles NW of the GG Bridge's North Tower. I think a SF Muni bus goes there, but poss only on weekends. It's a beautiful area and a rental car would pay dividends. I'm sure Google will be able to answer all Nike Base tour hrs. I think it's open just the first weekend of the month. Same w/ more info/times/cost of the SF public transit bus service.

Berkeley Ace Hardware on University Ave, a stone's throw from the UC Berkeley campus' West Gate, is a also a good visit. Other things to do in the area too. Again Google BART, Bay Area Rapid Transit, the local subway train system. Board at a Downtown SF station heading East, under SF Bay, make sure you get on a 'Richmond' (a city a couple towns North of Berkeley) bound train, and get off at the Downtown Berkeley station. Berkeley Hardware is a short 2-3 blocks to the NE.

Also do a search here on HS. The Q about SF area hobby shops has been asked many times before here.

I think there's a pretty good LHS in San Leandro, 10 miles South of Oakland. Oakland being the next city South of Berkeley. It's been mentioned here on HS before but the name escapes me. BART may have a station nearby.

D&J had/has a pretty bad rep. A mess, not much there, prices, but they may have improved in the past few yrs. It's 40+ miles South of Downtown SF tho.

Also a SF LHS called Franciscan in the SW section of SF. Like D&J, never worth a spl visit for me but it has been, like D&J, 8-10 yrs since my last visit. Things may have improved there too.

July 9th, 2012, 7:50 am #8

set aside some time to go to the Maritime Park and especially the Maritime Museum. There had been some really awesome models in there.
http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/ ... eID=350388

If you're staying right in the city, Berkeley Ace Hardware is the place to go. In the past they have had 20% sales on Mondays but its been awhile since I've been there.

Don't forget a substantial sweatshirt and long pants in summer. Its amusing to see tourists shivering in line to board the cable cars (go early) expecting summerlike weather in summertime in San Francisco. (Don't call it Frisco) Mark Twain had it right "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.
They are located right in ft of famous Ghirardelli Sq, right next to the vast grassy area where many gather on weekends. All this just a quarter/half mile West of Fisherman's Wharf.

Forecast to be 80 degrees hot for the coming wk. Don't know about two wks forward tho. But yes, as mentioned, always pack some cool weather clothes along w/ the usual warmer weather duds when visiting SF in the Summertime. Rain's not likely in July/Aug but fog/breeze always is.

Last edited by bookmark460 on July 9th, 2012, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 7:59 am #9

it was open for the first time to the public at large and it was really in need of lots of TLC. Standing water in the underground rooms. Displayed Nike and launcher displayed above ground along w/ some trailer control rooms. Still an interesting visit.

Visited again a yr ago and what progress! What a great restoration job. More Nike exhibits. Missle elevator working. It's very cool to see and in a beautiful setting.

It's located in the Marin County Headlands 8-10 miles NW of the GG Bridge's North Tower. I think a SF Muni bus goes there, but poss only on weekends. It's a beautiful area and a rental car would pay dividends. I'm sure Google will be able to answer all Nike Base tour hrs. I think it's open just the first weekend of the month. Same w/ more info/times/cost of the SF public transit bus service.

Berkeley Ace Hardware on University Ave, a stone's throw from the UC Berkeley campus' West Gate, is a also a good visit. Other things to do in the area too. Again Google BART, Bay Area Rapid Transit, the local subway train system. Board at a Downtown SF station heading East, under SF Bay, make sure you get on a 'Richmond' (a city a couple towns North of Berkeley) bound train, and get off at the Downtown Berkeley station. Berkeley Hardware is a short 2-3 blocks to the NE.

Also do a search here on HS. The Q about SF area hobby shops has been asked many times before here.

I think there's a pretty good LHS in San Leandro, 10 miles South of Oakland. Oakland being the next city South of Berkeley. It's been mentioned here on HS before but the name escapes me. BART may have a station nearby.

D&J had/has a pretty bad rep. A mess, not much there, prices, but they may have improved in the past few yrs. It's 40+ miles South of Downtown SF tho.

Also a SF LHS called Franciscan in the SW section of SF. Like D&J, never worth a spl visit for me but it has been, like D&J, 8-10 yrs since my last visit. Things may have improved there too.
also a good one to visit if you have a car-- I don't recall that it is really close enough to the Bart Station to walk, unlike Berkeley Ace, which is a few blocks fro the Berkeley Bart station.

By the way, D&J used to be fantastic-- haven't been there for awhile, so others here who say it's gone downhill may well be correct. It's quite a drive... maybe not be worth the trip...
Last edited by Ferdico on July 9th, 2012, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 8:37 am #10

S to N, Ashby, Downtown Berkeley and North Berkeley. For Berkeley Hardware and the UC campus you want Downtown Berkeley.