Sahara P-40E kit question

Sahara P-40E kit question

April 25th, 2012, 5:23 am #1

What would be the best kit in 1/48 to do the Sahara P-40? What about 1/72? And I don't mean a wreck diorama.

Mike H
"If a tree fell in the forest, would it sue?"

April 25th, 2012, 5:56 am #2

In 48th, I'll say Hasegawa (have built), then AMTech (have not built). nt.

April 25th, 2012, 6:26 am #3

What would be the best kit in 1/48 to do the Sahara P-40? What about 1/72? And I don't mean a wreck diorama.

Mike H
Hasegawa
Mauve
AMT
Revell
???

The AMT kit is nice, but REALLY shows it's age. Ditto Mauve. Ditto Revell. All would be considered separately and equally together, but there's not much point.

That's because Hasegawa released their 48th P-40. While people like to moan about inserts, all it takes to make a fine model is a little care. It's an easy and accurate kit. I've built over a dozen, and none gave me trouble. Hasegawa's "base kit" is of the E. You can get E, K, M, and N versions.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
<font>

<font size="2" color="#808080">Mark Twain<font>

<font size="2" color="#808080">____________________________________________________________________________________

http://hyperscale.com/approachtonoderatingbg_1.htm
</font></font></font></font>

April 25th, 2012, 7:10 am #4

Mike H
I think Academy did one as well, but the Hase kit is fine apart from little detail in the cockpit. There are others which are either old or (in the case of HobbyBoss) excessively simplified.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

April 25th, 2012, 7:13 am #5

Mike H
would be Academy or Hasegawa.

The Academy kit is a more recent tooling, and better detailed, but has a couple of shape problems. The spinner is too bulged (not a big deal) but the canopy is noticeably too tall, which really throws off the "look" of the aircraft.

The Hasegawa kit dates from the 1970s. It's not as detailed as the Academy, but more accurate in shape. Fortunately, it's one of their "second generation" kits, with petite scribed panel lines. There's no cockpit, just a crude seat on a platform, but True Details makes an excellent (and cheap) resin cockpit that's a drop-fit.

I would either go with the Hasegawa kit with the True Details cockpit, or the Academy kit, but with the spinner and canopy replaced with the Hasegawa parts.

Another option is the Hobby Boss "EZ Kit." Unfortunately, they copied the Academy kit and included its aforementioned shape problems.

SN

April 25th, 2012, 9:11 am #6

In 48th, I'll say Hasegawa (have built), then AMTech (have not built). nt.
... I've built the Hasegawa, AMT, Otaki and Mauve kits, and all are good builds. The Hasegawa kit is by far the most detailed overall. It does make use of inserts for some parts, and that can be somewhat fiddly, though not severely so. The AMT, Otaki and Mauve kits are older, but still build very well with no problems and look good.

Generally you can find the AMT kits cheaper than the Hasegawa kits, so if price is a concern, you may want to look in that direction. (You can get 3 bagged AMT kits with Superscale decals for $25 here-http://goo.gl/RB225 I've bought from this seller and he's a square dealer.)

Like I said though, all go together well, and all look the part.

If I had to recommend ONE over the other, I'll let my stash do the talking. I have one Hasegawa kit in the stash, and eight AMT kits.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

April 25th, 2012, 3:16 pm #7

Mike H
Based on the type of P-40E out there (P-40E-1CU), presuming the Hasegawa kit is the best starting point in 1/48, what options need to be selected or changes made to get to a P-40E-1CU as opposed to other types of P-40Es? Same question in 1/72.

Mike H

April 25th, 2012, 4:55 pm #8

-and I imagine Mr Sutherland is looking into that.

There might be some instrumentation differences/ The RAF style cranked pitot is supplied in the kit IIRC.

April 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm #9

Seat ? Been done by Ultracast a while back n/t